The Fellowship of the Ring: Chapter V — Chapter XII

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Fellowship of the Ring: Chapter V — Chapter XII

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In this thread we look at what happens in Chapters V - A Conspiracy Unmasked through Chapter XII - Flight to the Ford. Have you seen The Lord of the Rings movies? Specifically, have you seen The Fellowship of the Ring? So much happens which is different from the movie! And yet, so much is the same. What do you like about the book, which isn't mentioned in the movie?

Image is of Strider sitting in a dark corner of The Prancing Pony. There is a lit candle on the table in front of him. His hood is up, the darkness of the shade obscuring his face. He is smoking a long-stemmed pipe.

Please remember to include spoiler tags when discussing specifics.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Fellowship of the Ring: Chapter V — Chapter XII

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I am so glad to be reading this book again. How could I have forgotten so much aboutTom Bombadil and Old Man Willow?

The last part we saw, of Chapter IV, Farmer Maggot (who is later on mentioned by Tom Bombadil as someone who is of more importance than the Hobbits had imagined "There's earth under his old feet,and clay on his fingers; wisdom in his bones, and both his eyes are open") has dropped the group off at the Ferry. So far so good and the story of the book is followed in the Jackson movie pretty much. Now, however, the limits of time requirements for a movie came into play and some huge chunks of the book were taken out from the movie. (Yes, I am a huge fan of the movies and of course I'm going to be comparing movie to book ... book to movie.) But the thing is, so much of this segment of the reading is not included in the movie at all.

So first we go into the Old Forest. NO. First we find out that Frodo has moved to another place entirely and we go there. Yes, he sold the Burrow ... Bag's End and yes, he has moved all his stuff. Merry, Pippin, Fatty and Sam were of a conspiracy to make sure that he didn't strike off on his own and all of this came out in his new home. This was sort of heart-warming, and started making this 'history' into more of a story to read, and not just a 'history'. So the hobbits go into the Old Forest and it is very spooky in there. They get caught by Old Man Willow and from there go to Tom Bombadil's place, where they meet River Daughter. All of this isn't in the movie ... but I can sort of see why. One, it's away from the direct story line but two -- Tom Bombadil isn't affected by the Ring. That could sort of be a story killer right there, in a movie. Here's this guy, older than anyone, and he doesn't care about the One Ring of Power and he can see Frodo when Frodo wears it. But it's lovely in the book and it works so well. The Barrowdowns. That is spooky too. Tolkien does spooky well. I love how Tom Bombadil again is there and 'fixes stuff'. I'm sort of amused that he decides to accompany the Hobbits the rest of the way to the edge of his territory.

Then THEY MEET STRIDER! YES! I love how so much of that interaction is kept the same, book and movie. Strider, to me, is sort of the personification of the book, along with Frodo. I don't know why, but there it is. The whole thing of the Black Riders, so terrifying, so deadly. The Hobbits are entering a world which they really couldn't even imagine. (Oh, and yes, now the book is in track with the movie, the movie in track with the book.)

The whole trip from The Prancing Pony to Weathertop to the bridge to Frodo collapsing and they don't know he will live is ... NOT the same. Oh, wait, here is another elf! Glorfindel by name, who had been sent out from Rivendell to help to find Aragorn and the Hobbits. Hmm. However, (to mix stories and movies, Hobbit and LoTR) at least Arwen Evenstar is mentioned in the books and isn't an entirely new, made-up character.

And so, we arrive in ... Rivendell. The Last Homely House.
*happy sigh*
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Re: The Fellowship of the Ring: Chapter V — Chapter XII

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Tarma, I feel like you read my mind!! Many things that you wrote are also some of the ones I found interesting.

First of all, I liked how Frodo was surprised when he found out that the others already knew about the Ring. He was willing to tell everything and cause an impression, when suddenly, it turns out that they already knew! But what I liked even more was the loyalty and friendship the Hobbits show, they were willing to accompany Frodo despite the dangers ahead of them. That was really nice to read.

In this chapters we are introduced to new kind of dangers, which are not necessarily in the form of a “monster” or creature, and due to that, they are even scarier. I’m talking about the Dark Forest, and the mist, and that terrific river in which they almost drowned. I really liked how the atmosphere of these places was described as well as the psychology of anguish and fear of the characters. Like I told you, no need to have a “monster” to feel fear, it’s enough to imagine those places and know the things they do to feel scared of them.

Yes! I also enjoyed the appearanceof Aragorn. He was a good addition to the plot, and reading about his “side” of the events was also interesting.

It was also really nice to see some more action.Frodo was attacked and the percussion of the Black Riders, were some events that changed the course of the story and not being solely “historical” like you mention Tarma.

The first book ends in an intriguing way, that makes you continue reading. Still…Where is Gandalf? What happened to him? Is a constant question the characters have and makes you wonder the same as well.

Oh, and I still can’t quite understandTom Bombadil. I love his character but…Who is he? Why is he immune to the Ring? (he doesn’t disappear and he can still see Frod when he’s invisible for the others? ) Is that because of the things you mention Tarma?

And regarding the movies, to be honest I’ve never been too fond of them. I guess the main reason is because when the first came out I was only 12 years old and I found it long and a little bit boring. I think I seriously need to watch it again this year. I have a feeling I will enjoy it much, much more this time. It is happening with the book. I have already read it but this time, I am discovering new things and I’m actually enjoying it quite a lot! :)

Return to “Book Teasers”