The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue - Chapter IV

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue - Chapter IV

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In this thread we will be discussing everything from the Prologue to the infamous Shortcut to Mushrooms. What happens in the book which surprises you? Did you enjoy the detail gone into in A Long-Expected Party?

Image shows the Party Field, with a 'Happy Birthday, Bilbo Baggins' banner at the top, and the rest of the picture showing Hobbits in all kinds of rustic clothing eating and drinking and partying and laughing in the torch lit evening.

Please remember to include spoiler tags when discussing specifics.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue - Chapter IV

I had forgotten what a pleasure it is to read this story.

First off, Professor Tolkien treats it like a history. He's not telling a made-up story but relating it as a history ... something which happened. His Prologue is sort of a back-history of The Hobbit and some informations about Hobbits in general, pipe-weed, the finding of the Ring and the keeping of Shire records.

Then we get into the actual story, which is still told 'straight'. This is a relating of something which happened (as are all the books of The Lord of the Rings).
We start off the story with Bilbo's birthday party and immediately it is noticed that the book deviates from the movie which was made by Peter Jackson and company. I had forgotten the details and the richness of descriptions is incredible. I loved that some of the lines of the book are in the movie ...

And yet, and yet, the feel of the story is the same in the movie as in the book. Back to the book. I vastly enjoy how Bilbo leaves, singing, and he is accompanied by dwarves. Frodo stays in the Shire and continues to be celebrating 'their' birthday. But when his own 50th birthday draws near, he is also wondering about the road taking him on a journey. But then he is encouraged, by Gandalf, to leave. Gandalf discovers that the Ring that Frodo has is the Ring. The Enemy knows about 'Baggins'. So comes the entire thing of buying another house, selling Bags End :o and all of that. Sam is the chief investigator of what is going on, and keeping the members of the conspiracy up to date with Frodo's plans (they don't want him to leave quietly without them), so that is great. They leave -- and a Dark Rider comes and talks with the Gaffer, before they've actually gone. There are things which are 'new' to me because I've watched the movies so many times now and forgotten what had been left out, in the original story! And I find that I love the book even more.

Then we get to something which is very different -- when they actually leave the Shire, Frodo leaves on his journey with Sam and Pippin. After some adventures, they encounter Farmer Maggot - who Frodo remembers with alarm and dismay. But -- Pippin is the one who Farmer Maggot recognizes (although it is obvious, later, he also recognizes Frodo) and Pippin is the 'responsible' one of the group. A Dark Rider came to Farmer Maggot's too, and the venerable gentleman has suspicions about what Frodo is about, but lets it be. Then, finally, Farmer Maggot gives Frodo, Pippin and Sam a ride in his cart to Bucklebury Ferry -- where they meet Merry.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

This is my second time reading this book and I can tell that I am enjoying it much, much more than the first time I read it.

I really enjoyed the detail gone in the story. I liked the description of the Hobbits, to know more about them and know how they are divided. I appreciate the whole effort of creating a new world and detailing all of its history, that indicates that everything has been taught out and planned, so I praise the author for that.

I have always loved The Shire, a cozy, happy place, and the Hobbits have always been my second favorite race (my favorite being the Elves!) If I recall correctly, these first chapters are my favorites, then, when all the fighting comes I start to lose the book a little bit (I know, it’s weird, but I’ve never been into the fighting descriptions). And in the movies, I absolutely LOVE all the art of The Shire, it is very pretty and makes me want to live there!

While reading this time, the Ring of Power reminded me, in a way, of a magic wand. Like the wand,the Ring also “decides” who its owner is”: “It wasn’t Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided. The Ring abandoned Gollum” (Sorry if those aren’t the original words, I only have the book in Spanish so that translation is mine)

Finally, about the characters, Gandalf has been one of my favorite, only second to Sam. I like his strength of not wanting the Ring because he knows he is going to be tempted and corrupted by power. Gandalf knows his weaknesses and that’s admirable. Then, about Sam, don’t you think he was lovable when he started crying after knowing he was going to accompany Frodo in his journey?? And I also like Frodo. He is brave, and the fact thathe is accepting the mission because otherwise The Shire won’t be a safe place anymore is admirable. He wants to protect the others. Hands down!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Prof. Gustavo Flores wrote:While reading this time, the Ring of Power reminded me, in a way, of a magic wand. Like the wand,the Ring also “decides” who its owner is”: “It wasn’t Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided. The Ring abandoned Gollum” (Sorry if those aren’t the original words, I only have the book in Spanish so that translation is mine)
Gus! Your words are just so appropriate! Thank you for noticing that -- and then writing about it.

Return to “Book Teasers”