Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we are at the end of our journey through The Old Kingdom. In this thread, we’ll be discussing chapters 24 to 29 and the epilogue but also reflecting on the book as a whole.

Throughout the book but also particularly in this last section, we find Sabriel having to assume some responsibilities she has trained hard for but would far rather not shoulder. Do you enjoy seeing characters who are confident in their abilities or more nervous about them? Do you think a character can be both self-assured and also uncertain about their fitness or readiness for a role? Has Sabriel’s journey impacted you in any particular way? How about Nix’s portrayal of death? Let us know!

As ever, please include Spoiler Tags just in case.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Robin Blackwood

Re: Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Post by Robin Blackwood »

Okay, so the end. This was it; everything which was expected from this book. The whole story was leading to final combat and with this to end. I must say that it was too quick; everything was on a few pages and written not very descriptionary. I was surprise when I suddenly found out that there was no combat when so little pages were left: it was written on the last ones.
Deaths; there were many deaths, of which multiple were extremely sad and not needed. But it was fun to see Sabriel not truely self-confident and without power.
She had almost died; but it was too traditional and usual that she was brought back just because of her ancestors; why only she- every death one could be brought back if she was.
The final scene was not so clear as other chapters before; I had to read twice to understand how did the main villain passed away.
It seemed that Garth Nix did extra good job at the beginning and in the middle, but ended book without his amazing style. I also expected some kind of epilogue with events happening some time after last combat; for example Sabriel and her 'husband', maybe with child, or Sabriel taking care for the wall, or eduating next Abhorsen and so on. But it did not happen.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Finally back on time track!

I finished the book this morning and am glad that I took on the challenge (for Sky) because, at the end, I was able to bump up it's star rating to 3 (3 out of 5 on Goodreads).

We end up back in the world, or part of the world, where the story started. I like that; I like the full circle and involving the school at the end of the book. All of these girls are needed and necessary and vital for the success of the defeat of the monster, Kerrigor. Thing is, I think I'd much rather have seen him just dead and permanently defeated. I felt that his survival means that Garth Nix has something to play with in succeeding stories, like he played with Mogget in this one. (For those who have read on in the series, is that accurate?) The battle of Mogget and Kerrigor could be foreseen and the outcome of that battle foreseen, but having Kerrigor survive (again, as cat(s) - plural this time though and not singular like Mogget) while so many others died (and some quite needlessly, I felt, as Robin says) just sort of ... no. Just no.

However, the part where Sabriel cannot die yet because of the need of another Abhorsen (THE Abhorsen) makes sense. Tough luck and she has to come back and live
... and so the story continues on.

EDIT: Sky very kindly answered my question (in the 'spoiler' section in my post) with a PM! Thank you, Sky! :wub:
Kerrigor. Nope. He doesn't. They face something far far far worse instead.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sky answered a question for me! - Tarma
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

After reading Sabriel I have some mixed reviews. In general words I liked the story. I didn’t find it boring and it entertained me enough to continue until the very end. Still, I never really fell in love with the book. I know it is part of a series, and although I would like to read the rest of the books, I wouldn’t feel excited to read them. I would just read them out of curiosity and because I HAVE to only because I started with the first one so I need to finish with the other ones (That’s how my mind works!).

Like Tarma, in the last chapters I didlike the girls from Sabriel’s school joining the fight. I also like the twins using a WAND (I couldn’t believe it when I first read it, we were so used to the Charter marks that seeing a wand made me happy!). But like Robin, I also felt that the ending was a little bit rushed.
One of the problems I have with the book is that, although it is meant to be action packed, those parts never really excited me. I enjoyed seeing a different kind of magic, but truthfully, nothing really happened that made me go “WOW” or to be standing on the edge of my seat, except for the part in which Sabriel is stabbed by the very end (that part I never expected it). But other than that, I feel like the book needs better descriptions of the adventures and engage the reader.

Also, there’s something with Sabriel that never really clicked with me. True, I admire her courage and her love towards her father, but I think that she is a character that lacks charm or something. And I’m still not sure if I like the love relationship between Touchstone and Sabriel, only because I feel it was too predictable.
The magic was difficult to understand.It is a different kind of magi that looks complex, difficult and that requires great deal of concentration and ability.
But I have to say that I really liked this quote: “The Abhorsen wields me so that no Dead shall walk in Life. For this is not their path”. I loved it. I feel it gave the whole book its purpose because it represents the true mission of an Abhorsen, and I really liked to see Sabriel motivated after reading it.

Return to “Book Teasers”