Lesson Two: Sudokus

Class led by Arianna Stonewater

Moderator: Arianna Stonewater

Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Lesson Two: Sudokus

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

Here you can discuss Lesson Two: Sudokus.

Have questions about the assignment? Maybe you stumbled across something interesting relating to the lesson? Post it here!

Link to the Lesson: http://holpuzzles.weebly.com/lesson-two.html
Link to the Assignment: http://holpuzzles.weebly.com/assignment-two.html
Khaleesia Marie Lilith
No broom

Re: Lesson Two: Sudokus

Post by Khaleesia Marie Lilith »

Hey everyone, for anyone who has done the Part Five for this assignment which 3x3 square did you start with that you thought was easiest to finish the puzzle with? (having a little bit of trouble solving it.)
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

Khaleesia Marie Lilith wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:15 am Hey everyone, for anyone who has done the Part Five for this assignment which 3x3 square did you start with that you thought was easiest to finish the puzzle with? (having a little bit of trouble solving it.)

For things like this, i start with the corners and make notes about what numbers could go in each square. For example, in the top left corner, there is a 2-square section that adds up to 4, so you know that 1 and 3 must be in those squares, so no other squares in that top 3x3 section or that column! That means that the 2-square section in that 3x3 can only be 2 and 4. There is another 2-square section in the bottom right corner so that also must contain 1 and 3. Hope that helps!

Chantel Poole
No broom

Post by Chantel Poole »

I also found it helpful to do more research on the puzzle type outside of what what taught in the lesson.
For example, if a 2-cage has a total of 3, 4, 16, or 17 there is only one combination of values that can be used. (3=2+1, 4=3+1, 16=9+7, and 17=9+8.) 3-cages with only 1 combination are: 6=1+2+3, 7=1+2+4, 23=9+8+6, 24=9+8+7.
Just keep at it, it’s so satisfying once you get it 😊

Sodokus are my favorite - but this is the first time I’ve ran across this kind!

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Return to “Puzzles 101”