Autumn Term 2014/2015 Page

Moderator: Arianna Stonewater

Prof. Sirius Fudge
Cleansweep One

Autumn Term 2014/2015 Page

Post by Prof. Sirius Fudge »

The autumn term of 14/15 is coming to a close. It had been a memorable year, with the founding of our new club, the HOLLERS. For this part of the scrapbook, leave memories for this term. Here are some things you can post:

A. School Work!

What were your subjects for the past term? Did you enjoy them? Were the homework hard? Will you recommend them to other HOLers the next term? What is your favorite among them? Discuss the homework and the lessons you learned. You can also post some memorable art projects here as your souvenir. What are your plans next term, in terms of HOL subjects? Share them here. :)

B. QUIDDITCH!

Wow! The mid season is now here! The first round of the annual inter house Quidditch tournament is over. What were your memorable Quidditch experience? Did your favorite team won? How is your experience as player, as a judge, or as a spectator? What is the best game of the season? Who is your most liked player? There are lots of memories Quidditch related you can post here. Preserve them and share them to other HOLers.

C. Etc!

Preserve the last term here in this thread! You can tell your story for the term here. As for myself, it includes troll hunting in the mountains of the northwest the past months if not sleeping in the HS office. You can also make a poem about the term, or create a graphic expressing your adventures and thoughts from last term. What was your best memory for the term? What adventures were you part of? What did you enjoy in HOLLERS the past term? How many times were you in the Shrieking Shack or in the Room of Requirement? Did you enjoy your Hogsmeade weekends? For the fifth years above, how are your OWLs?

Good luck and enjoy! P.S. Remember HOL rules in posting. No spamming and be respectful in your posts.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: Autumn Term 2014/2015 Page

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

Well my term sucked. I hurt my leg badly and couldn't do anything, but hobble for two months. On top of that my classes were to hard. I wish there was someone who could be like my tutor like I had a couple of years ago before Gwen Winters left. I also wasn't to happy to get detention. Only thing that was real good this year was potions (aka cooking class) that was a fun class. Next time its around I might take it again, just this time I'm going to do better in it.
Ailime Wright
Moontrimmer

Post by Ailime Wright »

Yey!!

School was brilliant this year! I totally enjoyed all my classes: Adv Care of Magical Creatures, DADA, Transfiguration, Astronomy and Divination. But I totally fell in love with Transfig. I think Dario did such a great job in writing the lessons. They were so...logical!
I did have to create some art for some of the classes, which I'm most probably gonna share them later, especially the Book of Transfiguration Spells ^_^
I've earned my quills and earned more points than in my first years, which I'm quite proud of!
Then I got promoted as a Junior Prefect in our CR, which I was really pleased about!
And I got 2 'jobs' that I totally enjoy: being yours truly HOLLERS Assistant and Rorey's CA for Muggle Puzzles. Yup yup!

Looking forward for the next term! :D
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

I was planning on not putting as much effort into HOL classes this past term, but they were so fun and I ended up earning full marks in 3 classes (An Introduction to Divination, Earth Magic, Surviving Fantasyland). I highly recommend all of them! The lessons are interesting and there is a nice mix of homework choices.

Quidditch-wise, my philosophy is that everyone can play! It's never too late to start. Running NAPs has been very exciting. I've even had good conversations with NAPs spectators about Quidditch, Ravenclaw, and HOL in general.

I think next term will be awesome too. We wrapped up planning a HOL contest set for March a few days ago!
Lamia Brickley
Oakshaft 79

Post by Lamia Brickley »

OH what a great topic :D
I have been very busy this term in Real life. I had three lab courses and they were very hard work. In the end I managed to pass them all, but I really had doubts sometime.... and I was very exhausted. The term still ist not over, I still have to pass exams, but that will be somehow better, because I can stay at home... and drink and eat while learning and so on... planning my time much better than with lab courses..

As for the HOL part of this thread:

A. School Work!
I took 5 classes. I can't take less, they are all so awesome and of course I wanted to earn points. Three of the classes had only one due date, so I haven't done the assignments during the term because of the already mentioned stress in RL. I did more or less all of the assignments in one week. I passed everything with full points. Kinda happy there as I didn't get any quill in my last winter term.
The classes (Care of Magical Creatures ,Mathematics: Arithmancy the Muggle way, Steampunk 101, Surviving Fantasyland and Word Magic) were all very great. I learned very many new creatures I haven't even heard before in Care of magical creatures. I love mathematics and the lesson was really well done. And even though I'm at university there were some things I didn't know. Steampunk and Surviving Fantasyland were quite work intensive, but I like creative classes. Imagining short stories or painting pictures etc. And word magic was also fun. I love words and writing and poems and stuff like that.
I would recommend every of these classes.
I'm looking forward to next term. I'm not sure whether the list of classes is already the new one, but I'm going to pick my next classes on feburary 1 and maybe make some homework then, so I won't have to do everything in the end.

C. Etc!
I explored the library project this term. And wrote two chapters there. It's a pity that there can't be more books added, but I really have to write some more. it's fun.
I also enjoyed the Art projects, however, I'd love to have some more art and library monthly project, like it was one year ago when I came here.
I also really enjoy Hollers. I haven't got the time this term to do much, but I really like being around when I have time (see this long post ^^)

Ok, I think I have posted enough for today. See you :D
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

I agree I'd like to see more art and library projects too. Although for now we do have Creative Outlet which is pretty cool. Although it kind of sucks that all we get for doing a topic is a award, but at least we get something for it. :) You should try that out if you like art and writing stuff.
Dolly Frazer
Moontrimmer

Post by Dolly Frazer »

Hi Hi, so this is my Autumn term in a nutshell.

My academics for HOL this term was a lot of work for only two classes. However I am completing my OWLS so I completed all six of the first semester. I earned Outstandings for all six so far. I also took 'The Hobbit' class which was absolutely amazing! I definitely recommend it for any Tolkien geek or even if you just enjoyed the last few films. The write ups are intense (especially if you need to say everything on your mind like me) but it's a great reflective class.

I don't play Quidditch as my RL often takes its toll at important moments during the season but I have started getting back on IRC if that counts?

So for etc, I guess I spend most of my time here at HOLLERS (I'm pretty much on all day, every day if I don't have anything else on). I love making up puzzles, learning how to solve harder puzzles and organising events. Bingo was a blast to run with the help of the other assistants and at the end of term I enjoyed making Cluedo puzzles for our unsuspecting teams!! In the Roost I have to say my favourite monthly activity was finding potions ingredients and making up an antidote to help poor Santa.

So that's about it, as always I say too much. I hope everyone had a fantastic Autumn term!

Dolly Frazer, Ravenclaw, Sixth Year, HOLLERS Assistant, Ravenclaw RP
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis »

My first term as a professor went pretty smoothly. I'll admit it was disappointing to learn that HOL professors don't actually get paid, but I had a lot of fun teaching Werewolves 101 nonetheless. Reading what my students had to say was really entertaining and it was inspiring to see how much thought and effort some of them put into their work.

As much as I loved teaching, one of my favorite things about being a professor is not having to do homework. Not that I didn't enjoy doing the work I ended up doing (I might be a little bit biased, but Scarlet's Word Magic was right up my alley), I just really liked not having to worry about earning points to stay eligible for Quidditch.

Speaking of Quidditch, Slytherin Quidditch Team has had a blast this year. We dropped a game to Ravenclaw for the first time since I returned to the team and I really miss a lot of my teammates that have retired or just aren't around as much, but it's still the most fun I've had playing Quidditch in years. I think running and participating in NAPs has changed the way I look at Quidditch. It's not as much of a competitive outlet for me anymore, so I can relax and just enjoy playing the game.

My goal at the beginning of the year was to become more active in the community outside of my Quidditch team. I think I'm off to a good start and participating in HOLLERS will only help!

Woah, I've never written this much in my life.
Ailime Wright
Moontrimmer

Post by Ailime Wright »

Yes Cody, we want you outside the Quidditch pitch as well!! :lol:
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Cody is trying to do others things beside quidditch and I'm trying to do more quidditch. Wow we are going the opposite way. LOL
Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Limine Snidget »

I'm a little late getting around to posting here, but there is finally a break in activities for a little bit and I don't have homework to worry about until the end of the month, so I have some time to catch up on reading things around here.. :)

I took five classes this past fall term in addition to my OWLs. I'm excited to finally be taking my OWLs. I can't believe I'm a 5th year already! I was a little disappointed to not get my five quills (not including the one for OWLs) like I have every other term since I've joined HOL because a professor disappeared. I really did enjoy my classes though! I think my favorite was Art Appreciation: The Ninja Turtles because it brought back a lot of memories from when I saw a lot of the artwork when I was in Europe.

It was the first time in five years that I didn't play in a house quidditch game, which was a bit sad because I love quidditch so much. NAPs made up for it a little bit though and I'm glad there is finally something quidditch related to do with other houses. RQT was awesome though and super welcoming. I'm so grateful for then all! <3

Return to “The Scrapbook Archive”