Prompt: A Decade to Remember

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Prompt: A Decade to Remember

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Recently I finished reading The “Vermin” Years by Mexican author Xavier Velasco, and in it tell us how different characters lived the decade of the 1980s in Mexico.

Inspired by that, for November’s prompt, please make a drawing or graphic in which you show us a collection of important events, people, memories, etc. of a special decade of your choosing.

Please share your work replying to this thread. Remember to keep everything HOL appropriate, adhering to all HOL rules, and keeping your submissions 600x600 pixels or smaller.

You'll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Ink Splatters award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your image and description to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces).

Happy November!
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: November Prompt: A Decade to Remember

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

Full size click

My decade was the 90's.
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Endurance Riding - the first endurance ride of this particular genre was started by Wendell Robie (with his Arabian stallion 'Smoke') and five other horsemen.
In 1955, the late Wendell T. Robie with a party of five horsemen rode the Western States Trail from the post office in Tahoe City to Auburn, proving that horses could still cover 100 miles in one day. Through his energy and vision, he subsequently founded the Western States Trail Foundation and organized the annual Western States Trail Ride, also known as the Tevis Cup “100 Miles – One Day” Ride.

All of this began from Auburn, California, where Mr. Robie lived. Endurance riding caught on, and more rides started up. In 1972, a group of people living in that same area started AERC (American Endurance Ride Conference). The motto of AERC is "To finish is to win." I am fortunate to have ridden, and finished, Tevis several times -- as well as having accumulated more than 3,000 endurance ride miles in competition. (I also did Levi's Ride-and-Tie, but only once. :o)

Note 1: Most of these photos are taken of places along the Tevis Trail. A couple are from other Endurance Rides. None of the photos are taken by me.
Note 2: The horses are strictly monitored for health and ability to continue by veterinarians along the way. (Oddly, the riders aren't ... :lol:)
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

This decade is the 1920s. I copied it off a picture on the internet, although I didn't trace it. I just spent an hour making it as good as possible. The 1920s was a time of outrageous fashion and here is a classic picture of the fashion form the 1920s.
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT 1/04.2018: 10 Beans sent - Gus
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I went with the 00s.

The Harry Potter movies and Lord of the Rings movies premiered during this decade. American Idol was the number 1 television series through much of this decade. Hip Hop music was topping the charts. IPods first came out! The Live 8 Concert occurred. Battlestar Galactica, one of my favorite tv series aired during this decade. The Olympic Games were back home in Greece.

Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Emanuel Hines
No broom

Post by Emanuel Hines »

My graphic design is about last decade, in which we are still living (approximately from 2009 till 2018). It is about most important and famous books that are quite popular in my country.

Books listed from left to right: Mockingjay, The Martian, The Fault in our stars, Eragon, The Wise Man´s fear, Miss Peregrine´s home for peculiar children, The 5th Wave, The Cuckoo´s calling, Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows, Dance with Dragons
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT 2/04.2018: 20 Beans sent - Gus
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist »

Submitting my work.

My decade is from 1930 till 1940, in which lots of animal species extinct. Most of them were from Australia and as noticeable from the graphic, there were only mammals that extinct (or other creatures were not recorded). These are only animal species that Wikipedia provided, maybe there are even more of them (hopefully not :( )
I chose this decade because there were really many species that were one after that term and it is very important that people are aware of it.

Anyone wanting to know more about it can click this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ct_mammals

Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT 7/07.2018: 20 Beans sent - Gus
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

1980s was just an amazing decade for pop culture, fashion and everything else. As the image shows, we have Michael Jackson as King of Pop in music, Back to the Future and Indiana Jones in movies, crazy neon 80s fashion, rise of the popularity of gaming consoles (pictured NES), space exploration (pictured space shuttle Columbia) and television (pictured cast of Golden Girls).
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT 7/07.2018: 20 Beans sent - Gus
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Ink Splatters”