Prompt: From the Sidelines

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompt: From the Sidelines

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Side characters: they can range from nuanced characters with their own hopes and dreams outside of the main storyline to two-dimensional ones who are there to help the mechanics of the story along. Neither approach is right or wrong – it really depends on the story and what the writer needs them to be in the moment.
But it can be really fun to imagine what they might be making of what’s happening in the plot. Are they wondering what on earth is going on? Wishing they could join in? Thinking about telling the protagonist they’re making a big mistake? Or maybe they’re just going about their lives, barely noticing the drama that’s unfolding.
For this prompt, I’d love you to put the spotlight on a side/supporting character (for 200 words or more). You could write fanfic and use a side character someone has already created or you could create your own. Providing it’s HOL appropriate, it’s entirely your choice.
You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Re: Prompt: From the Sidelines

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Gregory Goyle stood outside the Room of Requirement waiting for Master Draco to wrap up his work for the day. Draco was repairing the Vanishing Cabinet, while Goyle stood outside, disguised as a girl with the help of Polyjuice Potion. He had long hair, spectacles, and a sheepish, shy-looking face, that of the girl's, now. He found it very annoying. But he had no choice. Who was he? A nobody? Well, speaking of who he was, he was actually truly a nobody. He was just someone who wanted to live in the shadow of someone powerful like his father had always done. He wouldn't mind being the side-kick of Harry Potter either, as long as the side on which he was, won. Who wants to engage in huge duels? Goyle Jr. had always craved a peaceful life, and that he couldn't have because his father was constantly afraid of Voldemort kicking him out and/or even worse, incurring Voldemort's wrath on him and his family. Working for Voldemort was not easy. When it came to such situations, being a good Death-Eater working in the sidelines seemed better than working on the front as a great Death-Eater and losing one's life. Goyle Jr. didn't want to lose his father, Goyle Sr. He loved his father, despite his father's disposable status for the Dark Lord. He didn't care, he only wanted his father to live because his father was a talented wizard in his opinion. He knew that being on the opposite side of Draco could prove disastrous to the welfare of his father and family, so he just tried his best to follow Draco around and do whatever he was told by Draco, although it didn't help that Draco kept picking on him and made him feel not so smart. That was not a great environment to grow in, Goyle thought, but what could he do? His father was not powerful or rich like Draco's. Goyle Jr. counted off his displeasure on his finger one by one - 1. Master Draco always steals the spotlight. 2. Master Draco doesn't care about me except when he needs my help. 3. Master Draco doesn't praise me but always criticizes me, calling me dumb and unsmart. As if I don't help him ever. If I am not good enough, why does he need me, then? He wondered if Harry Potter would be a better friend than Draco if he were Harry's side-kick instead. Does Ron feel the same way about Master Draco?, Goyle Jr. thought. Between these random musings, something caught his eye and a movement caught his attention. It was a first-year girl moving towards the staircases. Goyle Jr. liked this girl ever since he had seen her being sorted the day she came at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. However, he was busy babysitting his master. How disgusting, Goyle Jr. thought. "Hii", he tried to mouth and wave at her, but then checked himself in time because he had forgotten that Master Draco had asked him not to speak until his job for the day was over. How ridiculous. Goyle Jr. stared at the girl for awhile but she didn't realize that she was being stared at. Of course, she wouldn't. Goyle looked like a girl, didn't he? A hideous one at that, or so he thought of the disguise he was forced into by his master, Draco Malfoy. How disgusting, Goyle Jr. thought, I wish I could never follow Master Draco's orders again. For one minute that day, as the girl passed by the corridor in the Seventh Floor where the Room of Requirement was, Goyle Jr. wished he was not Draco's side-kick but someone cool who the girl could like. He wished he was someone who could walk up to a girl confidently and ask her out, rather than always being overshadowed by Draco's spotlight-stealing and cocky presence.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.

Return to “Quill and Ink”