Prompt: A Tale of 2 Genres

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompt: A Tale of 2 Genres

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Genres are wonderful things but sometimes one just isn’t enough. This month, we’re celebrating all those books that combine multiple popular genres together to create something fresh and fun. From paranormal mystery to historical romance, there are so many ways to play with settings, stock characters, common plot devices and a reader’s expectations.

For this prompt, we’d like you to create a story or a scene (200 words or more) that takes inspiration from two or more genres. You can pick any genres you like (providing they’re HOL appropriate): fantasy, thriller, romance, mystery/crime, historical fiction, sci-fi, memoir or any other you can think of. You can tackle the prompt in any way you’d like too, so long as you make sure that readers are able to pick up on the genres you’re using.

You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Quill and Ink”