Prompt: True Colours

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompt: True Colours

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Colours! They can be a great way to enrich your writing and really paint a picture for your reader. They can also be a powerful way to symbolise things (just think about our house colours) or to give people a subtle hint about something or someone.

For this prompt, we’d love you to write a story (200 words or more) where you pay particular attention to your use of colours. Maybe you’re describing a fabulous party where all the decorations and people’s outfits are in jewel-bright shades, maybe it’s a peaceful sunrise or maybe it’s something quite different. Whatever it is, providing it’s colourful and HOL appropriate, the choice is yours.

You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Re: Prompt: True Colours

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I have always had an obsession with stars and faraway galaxies, so when I found out there was an exhibit at one of the art museums nearby that focused on art in space, I begged my mom to take me. The moment I stepped into the gallery, I was mesmerized. There were so many pieces of art within the gallery, that I was not sure where to start. I decided to start from the left side where the colors seemed to almost light up the room with their spark. I was drawn to a particular piece, so I stepped up to it first.

This art depicted a belt of meteors surrounding a deep red and vivid orange planet. Around the planet was a brilliant hue of azure blue blending into a light coral dusted with white. The bottom of the painting appeared to have a wave of white, garnet and plum brushed seamlessly across the canvas. It caused the planet to appear as if it were in motion, moving through the clouds of stardust nearby. I smiled. If the rest of the works in this gallery were as enthralling as this one, then I was in for an exquisite day!

Return to “Quill and Ink”