Character Development 3: Just the Essentials

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Character Development 3: Just the Essentials

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

How a character interacts with physical objects can tell you a lot about their priorities. What they consider essential also gives a reader ideas about them without you having to tell them X, Y and Z in so many words.

For this exercise, please imagine that one of the characters you’ve been working on has to stay away from home overnight. What would they take with them? Would they pack it neatly or would they chuck a few things into their pockets and take their chances? Would they forget or not think of stuff they would later need?

You can make a list of what they’d take and why, write a straightforward description or actually write a scene of them packing (or unpacking at their destination). It’s up to you. It should equal 200 words overall.

You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Re: Character Development 3: Just the Essentials

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I wish I had had more time to pack, but this was rather last minute. I don't care how short of a time I'll be away from home, I have to make sure everything is with me that I may even potentially need.

First of all, my skateboard is a must, so I put that against my door to begin. That way I can't leave the room without it. Then I start tearing through my drawer and pulling out all the clothes I normally wear - all my favorites basically along with sunglasses and a hat for no apparent reason other than style. Taking each item and rolling it up nicely, I put it all in my suitcase. Now for my shoes... but unfortunately I definitely can't put another pair in there on top of clean clothes. I end up deciding to wear my favorite pair and not bother packing any more. Finally, I grab my computer and a few other electronics and carefully place those on top of the stack of clothing, putting my sweater over them to provide extra cushioning.

Unfortunately my bag won't zip up properly without quite a bit of struggle, so I take a shirt out that I probably won't need and end up practically sitting on my bag as I try to drag the zipper across. Right as I finish, I remember I forgot to pack my bathing suit which I may very well need. Luckily, I have a little bag I usually use for these types of situations that I put my bathing suit in along with a towel just in case. Grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder, I roll my suitcase to the door, balance my skateboard on top, and head out ready to go.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Re: Character Development 3: Just the Essentials

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

I am going to be away for few days. My friends just told me few hours ago and now I am busy running around my room to prepare anything. I have my suitcase ready on my bed ready to be fill in with my things.

One thing that I won't forget to bring is my bookㅡthe one I use to write about many things. I pick a novel that I am reading right now from my table and another novel from my bookshelf. Then, put them inside my bag along with my pencil case.

After books and my stationery, I pick about five T-shirts, two pants, and jeans, I also get my favorite slippersㅡwho knows maybe I will want to wear slippers laterㅡand my favorite sneakers. I'm not sure how comfortable the place would be, so T-shirt and pants are the best choice. I also bring my jacket and favorite coat. I put them all inside my bag along with the books. I almost forgot to grab for my skincare bag.

Now all that's left are the important items, such as my mobile phone and wallet. I have enough money to carry and also have my credit card, so that if something might happen I have money in hand. Aside from my phone, there are my charge and headset. I get another bag, my favorite sling bag and put them there.

Everything is ready. I pick my bags and go out from my room, my mom is there to walk me to my friend's car which waiting for me now!

{Yosh! Thanks again to my dear editors, Prof. Tarma and Prof. Sky.}

Return to “Quill and Ink”