Prompt: Character Building

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompt: Character Building

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

It was slow-going at first, but I was determined to feed us. I stole eggs from nests, caught fish in nets, sometimes managed to shoot a squirrel or rabbit for stew, and gathered the various plants that sprung up beneath my feet. Plants are tricky. Many are edible, but one false mouthful and you’re dead. I checked and double-checked the plants I harvested with my father’s pictures.
From the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This month, I’m thinking about character. Not the fancy synonym for personality but the wonderfully vital people who populate our favourite stories. Take Katniss from The Hunger Games, this Month’s book for discussion over on The Bookshelf. This passage alone tells us a lot about her: she’s practical, stubborn, resourceful, intelligent, meticulous, grounded, hard-bitten and loyal.

So for this months prompt, I’d love it if you could create a person (in 200 words or more). You can either let them introduce themselves (to the reader or someone else, an employer or journalist perhaps) or take Suzanne Collins’ example and try to reveal things about them through their actions or thoughts in a certain situation.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Quill and Ink”