March Prompt: Unlikely Mashups that Work

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

March Prompt: Unlikely Mashups that Work

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Here in Book Club, we're celebrating March with 'Mash-ups'.

Between the Pages is, in a way, a mash-up of topics and ideas which are included in the full spectrum of all books written. Have you ever wondered, though, about the strangeness of some of the things which are mixed and mashed together?

I am a great fan of Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. Imagine my dismay (and possible delight) when I encountered the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith.

Zombies are their own genre! Sure, they might be mixed with vampires, or werewolves, or other creature which go bump in the dark. But ..... what is this? Mr. Darcy! No!

It's great. :lol: I don't know how or why it works, but work it does.

What great (or even not so great) novel have you read and then encountered it in a mash-up? Were you horrified, delighted, astonished or disgusted? What is the name of the original book, who wrote it, what is the name of the mash-up and who wrote that? Tell us! :D

Your write-up needs to be at least 200 words to count towards Beans (and any possible award)! If you post a graphic, please keep it to 600x600 or smaller, and write a brief description underneath what the graphic depicts.

You will receive 20 Beans when you post. Any replies in here, through the school year, will be credited towards a possible award. As always, please keep to HOL appropriate sources for your post.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces).

Remember to click preview before posting to look for spelling and grammatical errors -- or see if auto-correct changed what you wanted to write to something entirely else!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: March Prompt: Unlikely Mashups that Work

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Graphic shows 4 panels. In upright picture to the far left, with Legolas and Gimli looking down, their backs are to us, Gimli says "Oh no! Aragorn went over this cliff."
The next three pictures are horizontal, going down.
You see Legolas and Gimli, front view, looking down. Gimli says "He caught himself and he's climing up? Inconceivable!"
Next picture down, a close-up of Legolas, who is saying "Hello there! Slow going?"
The last picture is rear view of Legolas and Gimli again, with word balloon coming from below "Look, I don't mean to be rude, but this is not as easy as it looks. So I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't distract me."
Gimli says "Sorry."
Voice from below says "Thank you."

This is a hilarious mash-up using the Lord of the Rings, and Aragorn going over the cliff (which didn't really happen in the books but it did happen in the movies ...) with Legolas and Gimli sadly looking over the cliff side knowing how unlikely it was that Aragorn would survive such a fall combined with words from The Princess Bride. The scene and words are from where Vizzini, Inigo Montoya and Fezzik are watching the Dread Pirate Roberts (Westley) climbing up the cliff and then Vizzini leaves Inigo Montoya to kill Westley and rejoin him/them.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Between the Pages”