January Prompt: Music to the Mind

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

January Prompt: Music to the Mind

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

New year, new themes, another new prompt -

How often do you hum or sing to yourself, a something which shows up and you find yourself enjoying the music? Not talking about something that you've just listened to, and it stays and stays and stays ...

Are any of these songs, or bits of melody, inspired by a book which you just read or are reading? Are they songs coming from a book, which ended up being made into a musical or a movie which incorporates music as an intrinsic part of it? Or maybe you make up songs or melodies on your own, when you are reading a good book, simply because music has to be part of it?

What book or books have you read which inspires you to hum or sing? I immediately think of Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, which had been made into the musical Man of La Mancha (adapted from Dale Wasserman's I, Don Quixote). The Impossible Dream, Dulcinea and Man of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote) immediately jostle for 'listen to me!' in my mind, as I think of the book.

Have you read a book or story which calls for a song, either one of your own composition or one that is from somewhere else? I've read an adventure story, and something starts playing in my mind, that later on I realize is Ride of the Valkyries. Or, in an adventure story of a strange kind (think Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg), Ode to Joy starts playing (from the movie Die Hard).

Your write-up needs to be at least 200 words to count towards Beans (and any possible award)! If you post a graphic, please keep it to 600x600 or smaller, and write a brief description underneath what the graphic depicts.

You will receive 20 Beans when you post. Any replies in here, through the school year, will be credited towards a possible award. As always, please keep to HOL appropriate sources for your post.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces).

Remember to click preview before posting to look for spelling and grammatical errors -- or see if auto-correct changed what you wanted to write to something entirely else!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Between the Pages”