How Do You Dewey?

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

How Do You Dewey?

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) is used to shelve non-fiction books in many libraries all over the world. There are ten main classes. Since the books are grouped by similar topic, browsing through the library shelves often leads to discovering even more interesting books to read.

I typically find myself in the 500's for the science books or around 150 for psychology, particularly books by Malcolm Gladwell and Gretchen Rubin. I've also enjoyed books in social science (300 in Dewey Decimal Classification), especially those by Jared Diamond.

The book I just finished doesn't fall in any of those categories. Your Move: What Board Games Teach Us About Life by Joan Moriarity and Jonathan Kay is 794 for "indoor games of skill." It was neat to read about board games from the perspectives of avid board gamers. I never realized board games had their own section and I wonder what other books are out there.

So, how do you Dewey?
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: How Do You Dewey?

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I used to work in a library when in school, and had memorized the table, putting it to song. When I started reading your words, I laughed because that song immediately popped into my head!

For me, the numbers 636 is very familar. Yes, 636 and specifically 636.1. I don't suppose it will be of any surprise to anyone to find out ---
636 Animal husbandry
636.1 Horses and related animals

I have also found myself also reading a lot in the 100s - often reading books of the 130s (paranormal phenomena). A book which I'm reading, that Sindor made a post about We, The Arcturians, surprises me as being listed with 576 (microbiology) but then I see that the further breakdown of the classification goes to 576.839 (which goes to extraterrestrial life)!

Curious, I did a google search to see if it can be found a different way - yep! "Dewey Decimal Classification: A Short Subject List" takes you to the system, categorized alphabetically.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: How Do You Dewey?

Post by February Fortescue »

I worked in a University library for three years and was assigned the 700's. I'd go through all of the books, pull them out and straighten them, because so many times behind those books I'd find books that the library thought were lost forever! I also found lots of mishelved books. I still gravitate to the 700's whenever I visit any library.

My favorite numbers are 364.1 (true crime) and 636.7 (dogs). I knew a Ph D who practiced (and is still practicing) Psychosynthesis and this fall I'm hoping to tear into the 150's and track down books on that subject.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “Between the Pages”