Magical Errors

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Magical Errors

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

It was recently announced The 20th Anniversary Editions of Harry Potter books accidentally added some fake facts to the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff versions.

In these two versions, it states "Did you know? Professor Sprout had a long-term relationship with fellow teacher Professor Flitwick. Sadly it didn't work out but they remain friends."

The source for this came from as JKR tweet... but it didn't! CollegeHumor, a satirical site known for its entertaining but fake stories, made up this fake tweet for a fake interview-article with JKR titled "J.K. Rowling Knows Way Too Much About Her Characters." This article mixed up real tweets with photoshopped ones.

This isn't the only error to have been discovered and corrected for future reprinting; it was also pointed out that the Ravenclaw edition also lists Luna as having Ollivander’s wand.

What other errors have you heard of or uncovered yourself in printed materials?
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Magical Errors

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I don't know if I've ever encountered errors in printed materials besides typos that were missed in editing. I do know that I have read books before that left plot holes, questions unanswered that I have had to try to figure out for myself. I read one this summer that was like that, and I can't even think of the name of the book right now. I want to say it was one of the mystery books that I read that had said one thing earlier on but then countered it by saying something else. So I got to thinking, was that intentional or is that a plot error that was never fixed?

That is good to know about the 20th anniversary editions though. The first one about Professor Sprout and Professor Flitwick sounds like it could potentially be a possibility I suppose, but Lily having Ollivander's wand is kind of out there. Why would she have his wand?
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Between the Pages”