Viviana Kingston
No broom

Book review - Fierce Fairytales

Post by Viviana Kingston »

Title: Fierce Fairytales
Author: Nikita Gill
Genre: Poetry/prose, fairytales
Rating: 5/5
Page count: 221 pages (ebook) (175 pages physically)
Category: Traditional publishing, standalone
Age rating: 14+
Warnings: mostly subtle discussion of racism, abuse, alcoholism, sexism, trolling, eating disorders, trauma, rape culture, mental illness
Synopsis:
This collection of poetry is a retelling of fairytales known and loved for a new generation of women where the big bad wolf lives in a concrete jungle, villains don’t always have the worst intentions and the hero that you find yourself waiting for is deep down inside of you!

Comments + opinion:
Once upon a time, Matter dreamed up an idea…
that idea…it was you.
You are the universe’s fairytale come true.
One of the most inspiring books of poetry + prose I’ve read! Almost every single poem that I’ve read, I enjoyed. I found myself immersed in fairytales I had completely forgotten about and narratives that I’m sure we didn’t think of. It’s absolutely creative that I found myself penning poems inspired by the book. There were short stories that felt much better than the actual fairytales themselves and that wasn’t the craziest part about it. From beginning to end, I found myself empowered by the words and its inclusivity (probably in a spell that one of the witches spoken about cast on me) but it is too good to not read at least once in your life!
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
signature created by Katherine Laurier

Return to “The Bookshelf”