Comet 180

Book Review: Miss Marley

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Miss Marley
Author: Vanessa Lafaye
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: No

Brief Summary:
Most everyone is familiar with the Dickens novel, A Christmas Carol. Here we are introduced to the miserable miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, who was saved from a horrible fate by the intervention of his late business partner, Jacob Marley. Though Marley’s appearance is brief, he is an integral part of the story.

But who is Jacob Marley? Surely, he is more than just Scrooge’s business partner. This book introduces us to the boy Jake Marley, who has assumed care of his younger sister when misfortune and tragedy lands them in the street. He ended every night by assuring her that one day they would have their life back and that things would ‘be alright.” He was determined to keep that promise, but at what cost?

The reader follows the path that Jake Marley chooses in order to fulfill his boyhood promise. As we know, he does indeed become wealthy, and in a position to never worry about being homeless again. But the hard-hearted businessman, Jacob Marley, is a far cry from the tender-hearted Jake Marley. His wealth is built on a house of cards, and heaven help them all when they come tumbling down.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
A seasonal tale of kindness and goodwill
Orphans Clara and Jacob Marley live by their wits, scavenging for scraps in the poorest alleyways of London, in the shadow of the workhouse. Every night, Jake promises his little sister ‘tomorrow will be better’ and when the chance to escape poverty comes their way, he seizes it despite the terrible price.

And so Jacob Marley is set on a path that leads to his infamous partnership with Ebenezer Scrooge. As Jacob builds a fortress of wealth to keep the world out, only Clara can warn him of the hideous fate that awaits him if he refuses to let love and kindness into his heart…

In Miss Marley, Vanessa Lafaye weaves a spellbinding Dickensian tale of ghosts, goodwill and hope – a perfect prequel to A Christmas Carol.
My take on things:
I finished this book in one sitting; it was that good. A Christmas Carol has always been one of my favorite stories, and this was the perfect prequel. I enjoyed it immensely and I think even Mr. Dickens would approve. I highly recommend this one!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”