Comet 180

Book Review: Witchborn

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Witchborn
Author: Nicholas Bowling
Genre: Fantasy
Series: No

A brief summary:

Young Alyce’s mother is burned at the stake as a witch, and when Alyce kills the witch finder, she is forced to go on the run. She soon finds herself involved in a web of political intrigue, torn between Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Mary of Scotland.

Nothing is quite what it seems, and Alyce faces many trials and tribulations before the book’s conclusion. Her own growing powers of witchcraft lead her down roads she once swore to never travel and do things she never believed herself capable of doing.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
It’s 1577. Queen Elizabeth I has imprisoned scheming Mary Queen of Scots, and Alyce's mother is burned at the stake for witchcraft. Alyce kills the witchfinder and flees to London - but the chase isn't over yet. As she discovers her own dark magic, powerful political forces are on her trail. She can't help but wonder: why is she so important? Soon she finds herself deep in a secret battle between rival queens, the fate of England resting on her shoulders…
My take on this book:

i thoroughly enjoyed this one. Highly fantastical, it is a book not to be taken seriously, but a true indulgence in nonsensical fantasy. It rather reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which takes a classic tale and gives it a fun new twist. Historical figures are seen in a whole new light, Much to this reader’s delight. I will never quite look at Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Stewart in the same way again!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”