Comet 180

Book Review-Axiom

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Axiom
Author: Madison Rose
Genre: Dystopian/Science Fiction
Series: Yes Duology with sequel not yet published

Short Summary:
The main part of the story revolves around a young girl, Amery X, a citizen of the self-contained society of Axiom. On her seventeenth birthday, Amery participates in the pairing ceremony, where she will be wed to her life partner, who has been picked for her after careful analysis by the computer program designed to ensure successful marriages. Sounds perfect, right? Wrong!

There is just one little glitch…

Amery is Subversive, meaning that she is immune to the Truth Serum that the government of Axiom demands that anyone over the age of 6 takes. It renders the citizens unable to tell a lie or go against the powers that run Axiom. Avery has only one chance…run. But sometimes, even running does not get you out of danger, as Amery soon discovers.

Here is what Goodreads has to say about the book:

Seventeen-year-old Amrey X has one fatal flaw. She can lie in a city forced to speak the truth.

For 200 years, citizens of Axiom have been subjected to a truth serum. Forced to stand oath from the age of seven. And for 10 years Amrey has conformed.

Until now.

Things are changing. The Axiom Government has caught wind of an immune and will stop at nothing to hunt them down. Amrey must leave, but it will have a cost.

Unsure who to trust, she finds herself drawn to a boy, whose wit and charm may be more of a distraction than she can handle. And when confronted by a figure of her past, Amrey must deal with a shocking truth she wasn't prepared for. And make a choice that could change everything.
My take on things: I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit. I was admittedly a bit bummed about the cliffhanger ending with no sequel date in sight. And it was a bit heavier on romance than I usually go for in a book. That aside, there was enough twists and turns to keep the book interesting, and you really got a good feel for the characters. The world created by the author was very believable, and if you like dystopian novels, I would say that you should give this one a chance.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”