Cleansweep Three

Book Review-Goddess of Yesterday

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Goddess of Yesterday
Author: Caroline B. Cooney
Series: No
Genre: Historical Fiction/Mythology

Brief Summary:
Anaxandra is the daughter of a minor king of a remote island; nobody special at all, if truth be told. However, when her village is raided and the young girl is taken captive, her life changes forever. Cunning, resourceful, and with the innocent guile of a child, the 'nobody girl' fancies herself a princess. By the time the story is done, Anaxandra's chameleon-like nature will mark her both as princess and deadly enemy to the infamous Helen of Troy herself.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
At age six Anaxandra is taken by King Nicander to be a companion to his crippled daughter on the island of Siphnos. Anaxandra has adjusted to her new life when, six years later, Siphnos is sacked by pirates, and she is the sole survivor. When a fleet of ships stops on the island to investigate, she assumes the identity of Princess Callisto to survive. The ships belong to Menelaus, king of Sparta, and he takes her back to Sparta with him. But Helen, wife of
Menelaus does not believe that this child is Princess Callisto. Anaxandra manages to stay out of harm’s way—until Paris and Aeneas arrive. When Menelaus and his men depart to attend his grandfather’s funeral, Paris and Helen’s passionate affair plunges Sparta and Troy into war.
My take:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys mythological fiction. You will not be disappointed; I promise you!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”