Oakshaft 79

Book Review - Wilder Girls

Post by Amy Darvill »

Title: Wilder Girls
Author: Rory Powers
Genre: Science Fiction/Horror, possibly dystopian
Series: No

Brief Summary:
The story takes place on a girl's boarding school on an island...Raxter's island, just off the coast of Maine. But something is terribly wrong. There's a sickness that is coursing through the island, picking off teacher after teacher and the girls? The girls are changing, shifting. If the disease doesn't kill them, then they're changed irrevocably. The navy and main land are working on a cure, but until then, they have to remain under quarantine. Hetty, our main character, is trusting in this truth, and takes her turns with guarding the school from the animals, also changed by the Tox. But when she is promoted and her best friend goes missing, she's go searching for answers. But her answers are going to crack the school open...

Review:
I give this a pretty solid 3 1/2 -4 stars. There's aspects of the ending that is a bit abrupt and not quite satisfying. But honestly, I really enjoyed this book and read it all in one day. If there's one thing that Rory Powers is good at, based on this and her other book, is this very unsettling nature to her writing. You can feel the dread and strangeness building up. I do feel like the build up is better then the delivery, since it's been a month that I've read it and I had to look up the ending, but I remember the whole setting of the school.

Trigger Warnings: There are some definitely gory moments, as well as gun violence and honestly, some medical trauma. Overall, the biggest thing to be concerned about it is the body horror. When they talk about the girls infections, it's not a cold. And the physical changes are very much described as trying to come out of their bodies and changing them into something not quite human.

Return to “The Bookshelf”