Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Book Review - I Will Always Write Back

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Title: I Will Always Write Back
Author(s): Martin Ganda, Caitlin Alifirenka, Liz Welch
Genre: Biography

Plot:
Caitlin gets a penpal in school and is paired with Martin who is from Zimbabwe. She writes him a letter that he responds to and a friendship between the two begins. Caitlin finds out about the situation that Martin is in and how he lives and decides to help him. She starts off by sending money for him to finish school and for the rent on their house. Martin does exceptional in school because he's a very bright student and is able to continue school due to her help. Eventually, Caitlin's family is able to get Martin over to the US for college where he does well and starts a career.

Thoughts:
I saw this at a bookstore and randomly decided to get it because I've had a lot of penpals in the years. It was really good! It elightens readers towards the difficulties that people face in certain countries. It was a really cool story and it was great seeing Martin succeed in the end. The story ends really well. It's incredible to see how motivated Martin is throughout the whole book to get himself out of the situation he's in and through hard work and perseverance, he is able to. The book follows both of their perspectives and it's cool watching their friendship evolve.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Return to “The Bookshelf”