Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Book Review - Out of my Mind

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Author: Sharon Draper
Published: 2010
Genre: Fiction

Summary:
Melody, a girl with cerebral palsy, navigates school with her physical difficulties. She just wants to fit in with every one else, but she feels trapped inside of herself. She is unable to speak or move well on her own, so she feels isolated. People don't understand that her mind is just as intelligent, if not more, than everyone else's. She enters a trivia competition, wins a place, and eventually gets a spot in nationals.

Thoughts:
//Some Spoilers
Out of my Mind was really good! You could really understand where Melody was coming from as the book followed her point of view and everything she thought of the difficult situations she was put in. It was really sad at times and at the end, but it didn't end terribly. Melody gets a machine that helps her to speak and the story follows her journey as people start to see her real capabilities. There are parts of the book that are really frustrating when people don't understand her, but it was one of those books I couldn't put down! Would definitely recommend reading it, I loved how the author chose a unique main character that we usually don't see represented in literature.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Return to “The Bookshelf”