Comet 180

Book Review-Hook's Little Mermaid

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Hook's Little Mermaid
Author: Suzanna Lynn
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes (The Untold Stories Series)

Brief Summary:
Captain Jameson Shaw was a man on a mission; to find and kill the one responsible for the death of his son. A pirate captain, Shaw was respected and feared by his crew, he was quite successful in his chosen profession, and had a ready store of riches at his fingertips. Yet all of that meant nothing to the grief-stricken father. Nothing would matter until he destroyed the one he held accountable for his misfortunes. It was a name he spoke only in bitter hatred....Peter Pan.

Along the way, Shaw would meet many characters who would shape his ultimate destiny. The fairy, Tinkerbell, for example, taught him a hard lesson about trust; one that he would take to heart sincerely. The girl, Red, showed him that things are not always what they appear to be. Perhaps, however, the most impactful was the young mermaid he rescued. Meeting her would change his life forever.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
Captain James Hook was once a good man trying to make a somewhat honest living. He is a pirate, after all. However, after getting word that a boy named Peter Pan played a part in the death of a dear loved one, Hook makes it his sole purpose to hunt down and destroy the fiend.

On his journey for vengeance, the captain encounters many new comrades, including a young girl named Red and a fairy called Tinker Bell, and both push him to reconsider his desire for justice.

The accidental rescue of a mermaid leads him on a whirlwind adventure in Neverland. The journey is not a simple one, considering Pan, the Lost Boys, mermaids, and magic all come into play. After several misadventures, Hook must choose between the possibility of a new life with love and his much-desired retaliation against Pan.

Once everything is said and done, will the captain be able to overcome his need for revenge? Will he let compassion steer him toward love? Or will Captain Hook live up to his villainous reputation?
My take:
Peter Pan is one of my favorite books ever, so naturally, I was drawn to this one. It was quite interesting to see Pan's story told from another viewpoint, and it added a whole other layer to Captain Hook, taking him from "Disney villain" to a viable main character. I love a good anti-hero story :)

The writing did not disappoint, Ms. Lynn was able to capture the essence of the original story and the setting of Neverland perfectly. Admittedly, it is light reading; we're not talking War and Peace here. If you like retellings and learning different sides to established characters, I would give it a go. For me, it was like reading Wicked. You will never look at the characters the same way again.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”