Moderator: Book Club Heads

Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Book Review - The Kite Runner

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Genre: Historical fiction, Drama
Summary of Story: Afghani immigrant Amir is summoned from his California home to Pakistan by Rahim Khan, an old, dying friend of his father. As a boy in Afghanistan, wealthy Amir was best friends with servant's son Hassan, but when Hassan was brutally assaulted by a local bully, Amir was too scared to save him, and was tormented by guilt.

Good and Bad points: This is a heartbreaking story ㅠㅡㅠ. There were two boys, Amir and Hassan. Hassan is the son of Amir, father's servant for years who had been like a family. The two of them are friends, or maybe so Hassan thought about their relationship. It's a really good book, a recommended one. The story is just too painful to read. I really love Hassan, the character is good. A loyal, kind hearted, humble, full of positive vibes. How he had been a good friend to Amir even though Amir might never considered him as a friend at first. The moment they parted, when Hassan and Ali left, was a sad moment. I have been wishing for the two of them to grow up together. From Amir, I learned to be brave and not be a coward. I still upset at him because he had left Hassan at the hand of Assef and friend ㅠㅡㅠ I mean, Hassan always did everything Amir told him to, but can't Amir helped him? And he thought that maybe Hassan is the lamb that should be sacrificed. But, it was a great decision to make when he adopted Shorab, Hassan's son, his half nephew. Yeah, turn out, Amir and Hassan are half brother. No wonder Baba was crying when Ali took Hassan, he doesn't care if they are stealing but they should stay at his house. My heart aches writing this review, btw. Still remember the story. "For you, a thousand times over." Just a simple quote but full of emotions.

Return to “The Bookshelf”