Comet 180

Book Review-The Year of the Witching

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: The Year of the Witching
Author: Alexis Henderson
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes (The Bethel Series)

Brief Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Immanuelle Moore is a resident of Bethel, a settlement where the Prophet's word is law and life is governed by the Church. Though she tries her hardest to follow proper protocol, Immanuelle is, by birth, a blasphemy of the Holy Scripture, born from the illicit union of her mother, Miriam Moore, and her father, the Outsider, Daniel Ward. Taken in and raised by her maternal grandmother and grandfather after the tragic death of her parents, Immanuelle fights to keep her lure to the forbidden Darkwoods secret, lest she is lost to them like Miriam was all those years ago.

When Bethel is thrown into chaos by an ancient curse, however, Immanuelle has no choice but to embrace her destiny, no matter the cost. Adding to the girl's turmoil is her growing friendship with the Prophet's son and heir, Ezra. As history is poised to repeat itself, Immanuelle and Ezra must battle not only to save a thankless town but their very souls as well.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
A young woman living in a rigid, puritanical society discovers dark powers within herself in this stunning, feminist fantasy debut.

In the lands of Bethel, where the Prophet’s word is law, Immanuelle Moore’s very existence is blasphemy. Her mother’s union with an outsider of a different race cast her once-proud family into disgrace, so Immanuelle does her best to worship the Father, follow Holy Protocol, and lead a life of submission, devotion, and absolute conformity, like all the other women in the settlement.

But a mishap lures her into the forbidden Darkwood surrounding Bethel, where the first prophet once chased and killed four powerful witches. Their spirits are still lurking there, and they bestow a gift on Immanuelle: the journal of her dead mother, who Immanuelle is shocked to learn once sought sanctuary in the wood.

Fascinated by the secrets in the diary, Immanuelle finds herself struggling to understand how her mother could have consorted with the witches. But when she begins to learn grim truths about the Church and its history, she realizes the true threat to Bethel is its own darkness. And she starts to understand that if Bethel is to change, it must begin with her.
My take:

This was a breathtaking debut for a new author, and I cannot wait to continue the series. The characters themselves are complexly nuanced, and the setting riding the line between realism and fantasy perfectly. The plot itself can become a bit convoluted at times, but the story progression makes sense even with all the skipping back-and-forth in timelines.

Though it is hailed as a feminist novel, it doesn't beat you over the head with the lesson, which is a relief. It is an oppressive patriarchal society and some of the practices are downright barbaric, but it is not a good vs. bad situation. Some of the women are as just as corrupt as the men, and some of the men are, conversely, more righteous than the women. What you think you know, you really don't, and even the main character's perception of things/people shift as time goes on and new truths are revealed. Nothing is black and white in this book, that's for sure.

Again, I would highly recommend this book. If you like The Handmaid's Tale then this one is a must-read.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”