Comet 180

Book Review-Want

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Want
Author: Cindy Pon
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Yes (has a sequel)

Brief Summary:
In the not-so-far-off future, the world's environment has crashed. Decades of pollution, unchecked pandemics, and general human greed have taken their toll. Those who are rich enough can by specially regulated suits to regulate the temperature, filter their air, and protect them from disease. On the polar opposite end of the spectrum, there are the city's poorest citizens who are forced to live in the conditions unprotected, with a highly shortened lifespan.

Spurned on by the alarming growth in deaths among the poorer class, a young man, Jason Zhou, and his friends come up with a plan to help balance the scales. Jason will infiltrate the Jin Corporation, the mega-company that creates and gains a huge profit from the sale of the regulated suits. It is also common belief that the company is responsible for the new virus that is wreaking havoc on the city's poorest. The ultimate goal is to destroy Jin Corp and end the corruption, as well as stop the spread of the virus. A lofty endeavor, a risky plan, but highly doable, given the skill set of the resistance group. No one counted, however, on a major flaw in their plan. Daiyu Jin is the daughter of the president of Jin Corp, and Jason finds himself dangerously attracted to her. Will he risk one to gain the other? That is the million-dollar question.

Here is what Goodreads had to say:
Jason Zhou survives in a divided society where the elite uses their wealth to buy longer lives. The rich wear special suits that protect them from the pollution and viruses that plague the city, while those without suffer illness and early deaths. Frustrated by his city’s corruption and still grieving the loss of his mother, who died as a result of it, Zhou is determined to change things, no matter the cost.

With the help of his friends, Zhou infiltrates the lives of the wealthy in hopes of destroying the international Jin Corporation from within. Jin Corp not only manufactures the special suits the rich rely on, but they may also be manufacturing the pollution that makes them necessary.

Yet the deeper Zhou delves into this new world of excess and wealth, the more muddled his plans become. And against his better judgment, Zhou finds himself falling for Daiyu, the daughter of Jin Corp’s CEO. Can Zhou save his city without compromising who he is or destroying his own heart?
My take:
I really enjoyed this book, and cannot wait to read the sequel. The tone of the book is almost Dickenson in the sharp division of social classes, which calls to mind such classics as Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. Though the novel is set in future-Taiwan, and Dicken's tales are in Victorian London, one cannot help but see the similarities, and I would hazard a guess that the author got her inspiration from them. Which, is certainly not a bad thing, in my opinion.

The characters themselves are relatable, and the setting is exquisitely done. Though it is a dystopian story, there are many light-hearted and heart-warming moments as well. I would highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the genre. Even if you don't, I would urge you to give it a try; it's that good.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”