Oakshaft 79

Book Review - Queen Victoria: Twenty-Four Days That Changed Her Life

Post by Amy Darvill »

Title: Queen Victoria: Twenty-Four Days That Changed Her Life
Author: Lucy Worsley
Genre: Biography/NonFiction
Series?: No

Brief Summary:
Lucy Worsley takes us on a tour of Queen Victoria's life in a unique way. Instead of giving a straight biography, she chooses to focus on 24 days or events throughout Victoria's life. Starting with her parents' wedding day and ending with her death, it offers a sort of snapshot through her life.

Now, each day is its own chapter, so it's not like a literal breakdown of one individual day. She typically introduces the day and then delves into the details or backstory that we need in order to understand the events of the day. In doing so, she shows us the various facets of Victoria's life, both good and bad. In the end, you are left understanding how complex she was as a person, but also how complex and shifting the monarchy was. Especially if you are like me and very familiar wit the current ruling family and the strict no involvement policy they hold, hearing of Victoria's struggles to stay out of things and fighting to get the prime ministers she wanted is a unique twist. We also see how she struggles with her family, from falling out with her mother for years, to her own complicated relationships with her children.

Lucy Worsley's writing style is what makes it, which seems to be the rule for nonfiction books. She's not prone to flowery descriptions, and so comes off as having a clear eye of the events conspiring. But she also doesn't just hate on people or have an obvious bias. Even as she lays out how Victoria could be prickly and moody and stubborn, it's done with an honesty tempered by understanding. At the same time, it's not excused or forgiven, it's simply recorded, allowing you to decide how you feel about it.

I give this a 4.5/5 and I probably just take the half of a star off because as far as royalty goes, Victoria is not my favorite. (Give me either of the Elizabeths or Anne Boleyn!)

God Save The Queen! ~Emily~ (Sorry, I had to do it!)

Return to “The Bookshelf”