Moderator: Book Club Heads

Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Book Review-Wolves & Daggers

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Wolves & Daggers
Author: Melanie Karsak
Genre: Steampunk/Fantasy
Series: Yes (Book 1 of the Steampunk Red Riding Hood series)

Brief Summary:
The werewolves of London are on the warpath, and Queen Victoria is decidedly NOT amused. She turns to her Red Cape Society to get to the bottom of the problem...quickly. Not only are the clans warring amongst themselves, but they have resorted to kidnapping London's elite scientists, physicians, alchemists, teachers, and...chefs?! No one knows quite why, and it falls on Agent Clemeny Louvel to figure out why.

Much to her chagrin, Clemeny is paired with the alpha werewolf of the Templar Clan. The attraction she feels for him threatens to cloud her senses, and distraction is the one thing she cannot afford. This turns out to be the least of her problems, however. She is singled out and her family threatened unless she calls off her investigation. The fight becomes very personal very quickly. Clemeny will stop at nothing to see the mission through, and heaven help anyone who stands in her way.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
Who’s afraid of the big, bad werewolf?

When London’s brightest tinkers and alchemists come up missing, Red Cape Society Agent Clemeny Louvel is on the case.

To help her get the problem in hand, Queen Victoria assigns her a temporary partner—a werewolf with a knightly history and a tendency to be far too flirtatious for either of their good. Can she trust him to help her chase down the monsters they’re hunting?

Wolves and Daggers is a retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale set in Melanie Karsak’s bestselling steampunk universe.
My take:
Let me start off by saying that this is not a romance book, for which I am imminently thankful. The attraction between Clemeny and her partner is part of the story, but it is not the driving plot at all. Again, my thanks to the author for that, as Emily 'does not like romance books'.

The book is intense, but also light-hearted. Told in first-person from Clemeny's perspective, you get a bird's-eye view of her innermost personality. Clemeny is quirky and relatable and left this reader wanting to know more. There are seven books in the series, and I plan to read them all. The author also has other Steampunk fairytale retellings which I will be reading as well. It's Steampunk..you can't go wrong :)
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”