Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Amy Darvill »

Title of the Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Author: Arthur Golden
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: No

(Notice: the book is adult fiction and details adult matters. Young readers should skip this one for now.)

Brief Overview: Written in the first person, we follow Chiyo (later renamed to Sayuri) through her life. As a young girl, her and her older sister were sold off by their poor father, who hoped for a better future for them. Her sister is sent to a not great place (Let's just say 'domestic service' has extra meanings), but Chiyo's unusual eye color and young age mean that she could receive training as a Geisha, a highly specialized entertainer and artisan in Japan.

The book follows her struggles, from wanting to run away as a young girl, the bullying she suffered, and even the inability to be with the man she truly loves. It also encapsulates her highs, such as when 'The Chairman' gives her money and a handkerchief that she uses to ask for a second chance at being a Geisha, or when the Geisha of another house pays for her to resume her training. Throughout it all, the second World War is beginning and Sayuri must decide how to survive as the old ways risk being destroyed.

Review: I actually really love this book. It's beautifully written, you really get a sense of Sayuri's development and it works as this lovely little biographic snapshot of a very particular time and place. Some of this is heightened by the fact that Geisha training is a very secretive process and especially in modern times, Geisha is a rare profession. So this book is a very romantic ode to this profession. But it's not the historical accounts of the Geisha, but a story of one Geisha, and thankfully, she's a very easy character to love and follow.

Two interesting details. First off, there's a very lovely film based on the book, which came out in 2005. Secondly, the author actually got himself in a bit of hot water. To write this book, he had done interviews with a Geisha, named Mineko Iwasaki, who later sued him. Why is a little confusing, some say it was because he had named her on his acknowledgment page despite agreeing to keep her anonymous. Others claimed too much of her real-life had been used. While the lawsuit was settled out of court, I have also now added Mineko Iwasaki's own book (Geisha, a Life) to my future reading pile.

I give this a 5/5, I personally really loved this book.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Book Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

Post by Emily Spencer »

I have to agree with Amy on this one; I LOVED this book. Everything about it captivated me; the setting, the characters, the history. It was fascinating, heartbreaking, and educational all rolled into one. The author skillfully wove fiction with historical facts and transported me into a land that I could only dream about. Masterfully written, it makes you seem like you are actually there with the characters. Their struggles are your struggles, their triumphs your own. The range of emotions takes you from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. There were times in this book that I found myself wiping away tears, both of laughter and sorrow.

Here is what Goodreads had to say:
A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable.
As Amy pointed out, the book is meant for mature readers, as it handles some very mature themes. I enjoyed it immensely, but I would not encourage my daughter to read it (even though she is almost double-digits. (She swears that is the epitome of grown-upness lol.)
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”