Comet 180

Book Review-Station Eleven

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Station Eleven
Author: Emily St. John Mandel
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopia
Series: No

Brief Summary:

A pandemic has ushered in the collapse of society, with its first victim, an aging actor, setting off a cataclysm of tragic events that would forever reshape the world as previously known. The story is told from various perspectives and slides between timelines ranging from the pre-pandemic life of the fallen actor to fifteen years post-pandemic. All three main players, namely, the aging actor, the mysterious Prophet, and a traveling troupe known as the Traveling Symphony all share a common past binding them together irrevocably. It is a novel of survival, loss, remembrance, and regret, as well as a testament to the human will to survive at all costs.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
Set in the days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time—from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theater troupe known as the Traveling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains—this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet.
My take:

I love dystopian literature, so naturally, I give this one high marks. I usually do not like novels with sliding timelines, but this one was done so seamlessly that it was very easy to follow. I do wish a bit more had been revealed about the Prophet, but that is a very minor hiccup in an otherwise fascinating read.

The irony of the novel's topic, namely the pandemic, did not escape me. It was quite sobering on that score and made me feel really thankful that our world has gotten out of our pandemic with much more hope than the people in the novel enjoyed. In that score, it was a book of "what if's", making it easy to relate to the characters' fears that their world would never be the same. I highly recommend this one!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Re: Book Review-Station Eleven

Post by Janne Halla »

I admit I was rather underwhelmed by this book. I decided that I had to read it because when I saw the show (and thought it was decent enough) all people seemed to be commenting was 'Oh, I love this book!'. I was excited, since if the majority of people love it, then it must be good, right?

It's a very typical book, for this genre at least with all the cliches that come with it. I don't usually mind them, but I expected something more. Okay, it's the end of the world, people have a hard time surviving, but you will if you stick together. It's just very predictable.

Maybe I just didn't find it that impressive because I read it after the COVID pandemic? When the plot of this book became way real, in a way. I wonder how I'd feel about this book if I had read it before 2020.

Return to “The Bookshelf”