Moderator: Book Club Heads

Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Book Review - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

Title: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Author: C.S. Lewis
Genre: Fantasy (children's)

The four characters are Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. They went into the wardrobe and ended up in Narnia. It was snowy because of the White Witch. First Lucy got in and nobody believed her. Then Edmund got in and he was evil and said it didn't actually happen. Then the other 2 got in the last time and they lived there until they got back into the wardrobe by accident and went back home.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Re: Book Review - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Author: C. S. Lewis
Series: Yes
Genres: Fantasy
Summary of story: Narnia, the land beyond the wardrobe door, a secret place frozen in eternal winter, a magical country waiting to be set free. Lucy is the first to find the secret of the wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old house.

Good and Bad Points: This is the very first book that I read when I was still young, which made me always imagine going to another world by a wardrobe when I was a kid xD. Sometimes when I opened my wardrobe, I hope to find a fantasy world inside. It was a book that I always read until now, and it still gives me the same feeling as the first time reading it. It is a book for children, recommended to someone who isn't used to reading fantasy and wants to try. Though the book has its bad part. Like the battle part as the author only wrote it very short. It was like everything ended when it just began. Then, another thing that always makes me wonder is, why does Aslan leave Narnians in eternal winter with the queen? Why doesn't he do something to save them? From the first book, Jadis seems to be afraid of Aslan when she runs away and leaves Polly and Diggory. So why Aslan doesn't scare her away too and let Narnia live in peace? Why must wait until the four siblings come to Narnia?
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I have read this book when I was very young as my school forced me to read it. I surprisingly liked that book (surprisingly because most of the times the books I was forced to read were extremely boring). I ended up reading the whole series (which I still own) and then watching all the movies. I am a huge fan of this series and there are moments in my life when I get totally obsessed with it and I can't help but re-read the whole series again and again. Great book!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

From time to time there are books or book series I quit that I want to reread a few years later and see if my perspective changed and I can finish them off. One of those is the Chronicles of Narnia. I never seem to get past Prince Caspian and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is perhaps my favorite of the first two.

The story is not perfect, there are some major plot conveniences, but at its heart, it is a story about heroes that want to help the inhabitants of a magical land. It had such a sweet and well rounded ending that it honestly felt like a standalone, which is perhaps why I love it, but not any of the continuances.

I always liked his metaphors and how Lewis conveys some things through innocuous actions. For example, we know for a fact that Edmund is crossing over to Jadis’ side as he eats each morsel of the Turkish Delight and he is being questioned.

It is such a shame I cannot get more into the series, but the first (and partially the second) is good enough for me.

‘Tis the Season reason: Food, or more specifically, Turkish Delight acts as a catalyst for Edmund’s betrayal of his siblings and the main conflict of the story.

edit: counted for 'Tis the Season - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: counted for "Tis the Season!
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “The Bookshelf”