Comet 180

Book Review-The Chef's Secret

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: The Chef's Secret
Author: Crystal King
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: No

***Warning***
This book has several passages of explicit situations and may not be suitable for younger viewers.

Brief Overview:

The book is a fictional account about Bartolomeo Scappi, a 16th-century chef who had the privilege of cooking for six popes, and who also wrote the first-ever illustrated cookbook. The book is told from the dual perspectives of Scappi and his nephew Giovanni, to whom he leaves his vast estate, and more importantly, his position as Head Chef at the Vatican. The dual main plots revolve around the lives of both men, with the connecting thread being the diaries left by the secretive Bartolomeo and the identity of his mysterious love, "Stella". Uncovering secrets is tricky..and a very risky business, as Giovanni will soon learn.

Here is what Goodreads has to say:
A captivating novel of Renaissance Italy detailing the mysterious life of Bartolomeo Scappi, the legendary chef to several popes and author of one of the bestselling cookbooks of all time, and the nephew who sets out to discover his late uncle’s secrets—including the identity of the noblewoman Bartolomeo loved until he died.

When Bartolomeo Scappi dies in 1577, he leaves his vast estate—properties, money, and his position—to his nephew and apprentice Giovanni. He also gives Giovanni the keys to two strongboxes and strict instructions to burn their contents. Despite Scappi’s dire warning that the information concealed in those boxes could put Giovanni’s life and others at risk, Giovanni is compelled to learn his uncle’s secrets. He undertakes the arduous task of decoding Scappi’s journals and uncovers a history of deception, betrayal, and murder—all to protect an illicit love affair.

As Giovanni pieces together the details of Scappi’s past, he must contend with two rivals who have joined forces—his brother Cesare and Scappi’s former protégé, Domenico Romoli, who will do anything to get his hands on the late chef’s recipes.

With luscious prose that captures the full scale of the sumptuous feasts for which Scappi was known, The Chef’s Secret serves up power, intrigue, and passion, bringing Renaissance Italy to life in a delectable fashion.
My take:

I had never heard of this author, and am so glad that I found her. I definitely plan to read her other novel soon, that's for sure! The book has it all-mystery, intrigue, history, and romance. But it is so much more than just a romance. The "cloak and dagger" are a good foil for the "lovey-dove", which was good news for me indeed.

Ah! The food!! I was practically salivating at the detailed description of dishes and banquets prepared by both Bartolomeo and his beloved nephew. Call me crazy, but I will definitely be trying some of those dishes! I was swept away in the grandeur of it all, and you could almost taste his despair when the new pope declared a diet of poverty and simplicity. The food served to weave a binding thread between the two main characters, making their already close bond seem even closer. In my opinion, the descriptions offered by the author were not mere 'fillers', but an intricate part of the story itself. Again, if you are a foodie (like me), this one's for you!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”