Moderator: Book Club Heads

Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Book Review - Upside Down Magic

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

Title: Upside Down Magic
Author: Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle, Emily Jenkins
Genre: Fantasy (children's)

I liked that there was magic in the book. I liked that there was animals. I think that it's cool that her grandma is her own flying taxi.

Nory was going to try out for Sage Acedemy where her dad was the headmaster. But Nory has upside-down magic so while she was taking the test, her magic went wonky and she turned into a snitten (snake-kitten) and a dritten (dragon-kitten). She bit her father when she was a snitten. She didn't get into Sage Academy because her magic was wonky. So, her father was disappointed in her so he set her off to live with her grandma who lives in a different town so Nory could go to Dunwiddle School of Magic. Nory gets told that she's going to the Upside Down Magic class and this boy Elliot is going to pick her up. When they got there, Elliot saw some of his friends from regular school and left Nory to find the classroom by herself. There were Sparkies that were really mean and Elliot used to be friends with them. One time at recess, the Sparkies asked Elliot to make them ice pops and he said, “No, I can't. I'm normal now.” They said, “If you were really our friend, you would make us one.” Andres got a little upset and threw mud at them. They lit Andres' leash on fire and Elliot went 'no box of normal' and froze the leash. Everybody said, “You saved him!” But then, the leash disconnected from Andres and Nory knew what to do. She broke down her box of normal and turned herself into a bird. She flew up to Andres but she was a tiny bird. So, she told herself, “bigger, bigger, bigger” and stuff Ms. Starr had told her popped into her head. That made her grow big, big ,big. Andres got freaked out and started flailing. But then Nory changed the face to her face and she grabbed the boy in her teeth and took him back down to the ground. Everyone yelled, “Yay!” But then Andres started floating back up because he wasn't attached to his leash. SO, Bax turned into a rope. Nory held onto Andres. Elliot and everyone started holding on. They passed the rope up to Nory and she tied it to Andres' belt. Then they pulled him down. Then the principal came. The Sparkies thought they weren't going to get in any trouble and they hid behind the students. The Sparkies got in trouble and they had to go to the principal's office.

Return to “The Bookshelf”