Moontrimmer

Book Review: The 5th Wave

Post by Iverian Gnash » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave (Trilogy)
Genre(s): Doomsday, Science Fiction

Summary of Story:

The 5th Wave was a book I read mostly because it was the kind of genre I like and it looked interesting. First of all, I took forever reading it because this book it kind of long (457 pages) and I'm a slow reader.

The basic plot is that aliens invade Earth and most of the people living here die. The story follows a girl, her brother, and two boys (one of which is slightly connected to the girl and the other is not at the beginning) who are trying to survive after the alien attacks. The aliens have been attacking in different waves so the first was a power outage, then (2) a tsunami, then (3) sickness brought on by birds, then (4) people who are actually aliens killing whoever's left, and finally the 5th wave which is too much of a spoiler :lol:

My opinion was that it kind of dragged on after a while near the middle since the plot is obviously about the same throughout (a lot of running/hiding from the aliens and planning to get the girl's brother back from them). Also, it followed so many people and kept jumping around that it ended up being a bit confusing after a while.

Finally, when the book does come to an end, we don't get that amazing conclusion we were kind of expecting since there are two more books afterwards that things are resolved in. However, I did think the plot was pretty good and there were a few unexpected plot twists that kept things moving. The 5th Wave is also super action packed so there's a lot of battle, running from people/aliens, and that sort of thing.
Thank you Maxim for my siggy and avatar! <3

Return to “The Bookshelf”