Lizzi Long
No broom

Presenting Author: Kiera Cass

Post by Lizzi Long »

Name of the author: Kiera Cass
Main genre: YA Romance
Main audience: Teens
presenting writing still: yes
main books: The Selection Series, The Siren, The Betrothed (upcoming duology, the first one will be published May 5th 2020)
Short summary of the author: Kiera Cass is the besetting author of the Selection Series and the Siren. She is born and raised on Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. She graduated with a degree History at Radford University.

I first read The Selection series on a whim, and I have not looked back ever since. That book drew me in unexpectily, as I don't usually read romances, but I loved this one, and the entire series. It's a feel good series for me, and I will read anything that she will put out.

specific book
Title of the book: The Selection
Authors: Kiera Cass
Series: yes, The Selection Series
Genres: Ya Romance
Short summary of the story:
This is taken from Goodreads
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined

Good points / bad points:
I love this series so much. I love Prince Maxon as he tries to date, and tries to find his way trough the Selection. Like, exist and marry me already. I would totally accept it. America is some person. I am still not sure where I stand with her, but she does make an interesting character, and I admire her loyalty to her maids. I do respect that she is trying to get her life on track and does not want to lead Maxon on. <spoiler> The fact that Aspen showed up was a bit predictable, and I'm pretty sure the only reason he's still there is to create drama and make this a trilogy instead of one book. Like, why?But am I mad about it? Absolutely not. Just another love triangle though </spoiler>
Aspen is also someone. In this book I do like him, but the communication between Aspen and America is unbeilable poor at times. If it were not for that the book would be very different. America would have come strait home, and the book would not have happened. Or maybe it would have, but different. I don't know. I do love the series though.

My Goodreads Review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2106401911
Lizzi Long
No broom

Re: Presenting Author: Kiera Cass

Post by Lizzi Long »

Title of the book: The Elite
Series: The Selection Series
Genres: Ya Romance, Dystopia
Short summary of the story: Again, Goodreads is saving me here.
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away

Good points / bad points
This book suffers from middle book syndrome. America is so annoying in this book. She is leading everyone including herself on, and it's very annoying. Choose between Aspen or Maxon! Is it that hard? This is basically the plot of the entire book. It's extremely annoying. She is also very rash and does not think her decisions trough. The fact that she is not thrown out yet is a miracle, because she should have long gone by now. This entire book should not have happened, because it just could have summarised in 100 pages and added on to The One. Maxon is still as lovable as ever though. I love that guy so much. Like, he is one of the best fictional boyfriends. At least he has some sense to what is going on, and puts America in her place. And there are some romantic and cute scenes in the book.

I also love Marlee. She would be my best friend if I were to partake in the Selection and Marlee was there (actually, I do want to join. Where can I sign up?). Also, Kriss is getting more backstory, and I am very interested in basically the Elite. Who the characters are, what their stories are, their view of the country etc. I will continue with The One, because this series is great, and the book does has it's good moments. And Maxon. Did I mention that I love that guy? He carries the entire series (which he should be as he is one of the main characters). Please marry me.
Lizzi Long
No broom

Post by Lizzi Long »

Title of the book: The One
Genres: Dystopian Romance
Short summary of the story: This is taken from Goodreads
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.
So, this book did redeem itself from The Elite. I do love Maxon, as per usual. He is always there for America, even though it's sometimes annoying that he goes from America to Kriss to America. I mean, we all know that you like America, so end the goddamn thing already. It's obvious from the first page that America will somehow will end up with him, because that's how these kinds of plot work. Whats holding you back Maxon? Did you have to get shot in order to finally propose?
Also the thing with Aspen is getting old and is going nowhere. What is the point of it still being there and explored? It still the boring thing that is there to create plot. The rebel aspect is interesting though, but unnecessary. I wanted some romance, not a political plot (even though I do love my political fantasies). It does raise some interesting questions, but it did not have to be explored, because again, plot. America does make some dumb decisions, but overall she does make better decisions and think things trough. She did improve in this book, thankfully. She is less annoying, and FINALLY MAKING SOME DECISIONS FOR ONCE. Especially concerning the entire Aspen situation. She made up her mind in the end, but it could have been faster.
Lizzi Long
No broom

Post by Lizzi Long »

Title of the book: The Heir
Genres: YA dystopian, romance
Short summary of the story: This is what goodreads has to say about the book:
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
I personally think that Eady is very annoying to be honest. She thinks she is the best because she is the future queen. I admire the fact that she is standing up for herself, but come on. This is way over the top. She keeps on saying that she does not need a man, and that everyone is too good for her. It is one thing to do not want this, but she is going way overboard with this. She actually acted like a brat sometimes. She constantly whined about the fact that she is the future queen, and that she has so much to do. And then she is like, I am the future queen and I am so powerful. Someone check her out. Please. Arhen is actually amazing. I love that guy. And that ending is something else entirely.
Lizzi Long
No broom

Post by Lizzi Long »

Title of the book: The Crown
Genres: YA dystopian, romance
Short summary of the story: Once again, it's from Goodreads
When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined
Eadlyn did went trough some good characterisation. She is not that big of a brat and spoiled anymore. It was good that she saw that she was privileged, and she wanted to do something for it. Even though the actual actions for that are questionable. She still makes rash and impulsive decisions though. Apparently this runs in the family, because America was exactly the same. With the constitutional monarchy, where does it come from? She comes from nowhere and decides that this will be the future of the country, without consulting anyone. Why? No. Discuss. That's how it works. But America and Maxon are both cute together. It is really cute to see Maxon's devotion to America. He really loves her. And the plot twist in the end is good, as in who she choses. I liked that.

Return to “The Bookshelf”