Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Thunderhead

Post by Joey Stark »

Book Title: Thunderhead
Author: Neal Shusterman
Series: Arc of a Scythe (#2)
Genre: Sci-fi, Young adult

I love love love this book series!

The Thunderhead is, by definition, perfect, but certain things are outside of its control. What will happen when the independent scythedom starts to slide from simple corruption to something a lot more sinister, and how important remain Rowan and Citra in determining the fate of not just the Scythedom, but the Thunderhead's 'perfect' world?

I started this immediately after finishing Scythe because I never wanted to leave this world and I'm now impatiently waiting for the next instalment (I have so many questions).

I initially wasn't as blown away with Thunderhead as I was with Scythe, maybe because they start in very different places and the pace seemed slightly slower. Then it sped up, and wow. What an ending. This book had everything the first did, a wonderfully executed premise, building tensions, fast-paced action and a great undercurrent of politics. The highlight for me remains the characters, they are all so interesting, the good, the bad, the in-between - unlike a lot of books that change character perspective often, I was never not excited when the character switched. Schusterman has a really great way of developing characters constantly without it ever being jarring, yet they grow and learn all the time. I also loved the addition of Greyson and am looking forward to seeing him develop (even more).

Return to “The Bookshelf”