Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Presenting Author - Suzanne Collins

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Name of the author: Suzanne Collins
Main genre: Fiction, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult, Children
Main audience: Young adult on
Main books: The Hunger Games trilogy (3 books); The Underland Chronicles (5 books)
Short summary of the author: Suzanne Collins was writing television shows for children and children’s author James Proimos got in touch with her and persuaded her to write some children's stories. What she wrote ended up being The Underland Chronicles. Then she branched out and wrote something for young adults ... The Hunger Games. That book acquired a fan base which ranged far beyond that of 'young adults'.

I've only read The Hunger Games books of hers. The write-ups I have seen of The Underland series of books tempt me to see whether or not the library has them. After all, I do love Alice in Wonderland and she had the idea for The Underland books while wondering what would happen if that took place in New York -- and a person falling down a manhole in New York would certainly encounter some strange things.

She writes a tight, exciting and provocative story. The books of The Hunger Games may be read independently of themselves, but to acquire the full flavour of the story I think a person is better off starting at the beginning.

Goodreads write-up:
Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little Bear and Oswald. She also co-wrote the critically acclaimed Rankin/Bass Christmas special, Santa, Baby! Most recently she was the Head Writer for Scholastic Entertainment’s Clifford’s Puppy Days.

While working on a Kids WB show called Generation O! she met children’s author James Proimos, who talked her into giving children’s books a try.

Thinking one day about Alice in Wonderland, she was struck by how pastoral the setting must seem to kids who, like her own, lived in urban surroundings. In New York City, you’re much more likely to fall down a manhole than a rabbit hole and, if you do, you’re not going to find a tea party. What you might find...? Well, that’s the story of Gregor the Overlander, the first book in her five-part series, The Underland Chronicles. Suzanne also has a rhyming picture book illustrated by Mike Lester entitled When Charlie McButton Lost Power.

She currently lives in Connecticut with her family and a pair of feral kittens they adopted from their backyard.

The books she is most successful for in teenage eyes are The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. These books have won several awards, including the GA Peach Award. (less)
My library has this write-up for Suzanne Collins:
Suzanne Collins was born on August 10, 1962. She was born in Hartford, Connecticut and graduated from Indiana University with a double major in Drama and Telecommunications. Collins went on to receive an M.F.A. from New York University in dramatic writing. Since 1991, she has been a writer for children's television shows. She has worked on the staffs of several shows including Clarissa Explains it All, The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, Little Bear and Oswald. She also co-wrote the Rankin/Bass Christmas special, Santa, Baby! and was the head writer for Scholastic Entertainment's Clifford's Puppy Days. Her books include When Charlie McButton Lost Power, The Underland Chronicles, and the Hunger Games Trilogy. Book one of this trilogy, The Hunger Games, became a major motion picture in 2012 with Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence portraying the main character of Katniss Everdeen. Catching Fire, book 2 of the trilogy, became a major motion picture in 2013. Mockingjay - Part One was released as a film in 2014 and Part Two in 2015.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Presenting Author - Suzanne Collins

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Title of the book: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: Yes. The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay
Genres: Young Adult, Adult, Science Fiction, Science Fiction, Romance, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic, Action

Short summary of the story: The United States of America suffered a period of war, in which most of everything fell apart. The people regrouped into 13 districts with a capitol of Panem. When Panem attempted to control the districts, subjugate them, the districts rebelled. Allegedly District 13 was destroyed, and the rest of them were treated extremely harshly. In addition to the harshness of treatment, Panem instigated The Hunger Games, in which two tributes, a boy and a girl, were selected each year from each district and put into an arena to kill each other off.This story, told first person, follows Katniss Everdeen, a volunteer tribute from District 12. Katniss (and her co-District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark) are swept away from where they had been born and grew up, to Panem. There they meet people who are the ones who will try to help them survive -- and they also meet the people who they must kill if they are to survive. The Games start and Katniss encounters fear and panic and terror and ... friendship. The District 11 female, Rue, reminds Katniss of her sister, Prim (Prim's name had been drawn and Katniss volunteered in Prim's stead) and they become allies. Rue is killed and Katniss mourns ... but at the same time, now she finds she is freed to find Peeta, because the Games Makers decided to allow 2 'winners' -- IF they are both from the same district. She had avoided the idea of Peeta for so long, because Peeta was one of the primary reasons why Katniss and her family survived after her father died in a mining disaster. Katniss does find Peeta and manages to save his life. The number of tributes winds down to where there are only 3, and then only 2. Then the Games Makers renounce their decision to allow 2 survivors. Katniss thinks they cannot have zero survivors, and, besides, she thinks it would be unbearable for her to return to District 12 without Peeta because 'she' would have survived and he died. (Yes, yes, I'm leaving out a lot of the summary of what and who and didn't even mention Gale!) So, she tricks the Games Makers into believing that they will both die and, at the very last possible moment, the allowance of 2 winners is allowed again. And that is when things become very dangerous for Katniss, because President Snow is not happy with her at all.

This is such a great book. I'm watching the making of The Hunger Games movie, and different actors say how they read the book and thought 'I want to be in that if it is ever a movie'. There are fan clubs for The Hunger Games book which existed prior to the movie even being made (or the process of being made began). This is my umpteen re-read of the book (okay, maybe 4th re-read) and I keep finding more 'new' bits and pieces each time I read it.

Goodreads write-up:
Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death.

The nation of Panem, formed from a post-apocalyptic North America, is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. Early in its history, a rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor to claim victory.

When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. , she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Title: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Fiction, Thriller

Synopsis:
This is the prequel to the hunger games trilogy. This is the backstory of President Snow. It follows the events of the Hunger Games and a particular contestant in it - Lucy Gray - who Coriolanus Snow becomes attached to. The book takes many twists and turns as they both prepare for the hunger games - Snow as Lucy Gray's student mentor.

Thoughts:
Most of the book was pretty fast paced and had you sympathizing with Snow and Lucy Gray. It brought the songs of the Hunger Games trilogy into it, like The Hanging Tree, which I thought was really cool. There were plenty of plot twists I didn't see coming at all and alliances that didn't really make sense throughout. There were many decisions made by characters throughout that also didn't make much sense and the end wrapped itself up really quickly and left me pretty confused. It seemed like the book needed to finish up so the plot was rushed and didn't make much sense. Overall though, I really liked it, still can't sympathize with Snow though :P
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Fiction, Thriller

I'm not going to say I *didn't* like the book, but I think I had my expectations a little too high after the epic nature of the Hunger Games series. This wasn't one that I couldn't put down. It took me a long time to get through it. I did think there were some pretty good plot twists included, and my favorite part was the love story throughout. I will say that I'm also not a fan of their being songs or poetry intertwined in fiction novels, but I don't know what I expected when the word 'ballad' is in the title! I definitely think most of the action was put off until the last 50 or so pages (which I wasn't a fan of), and I did have an evening of sitting there open-mouthed with shock and couldn't read more because I needed to go to bed. I was a little put off by all of the things she left open-ended or completely destroyed at the end. Ultimately, I think she did a really nice job of defining President Snow's character and reinforcing the theme that people are inherently self-centered and greedy.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: Mockingjay
Series: Hunger Games Series
Genre: Young Adult, Adult, Science Fiction, Science Fiction, Romance, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic, Action
Short Summary: It’s been a month since Katniss was rescued from the Quarter Quell arena after shooting an arrow at the force field, the same time her district was bombed by the Capitol. During that month, Katniss lived safely underground in the highly regimented District 13, where the heart of the revolution resides, powered by President Coin, whom Katniss doesn’t completely trust. Katniss is trying to make sense of this new world amidst a rebellion and is still quite unstable as she recovers from the physical and emotional trauma she underwent in the arena.

Good and Bad Points:
This is a good book! The series of Hunger Games are really worth reading. After watching the movies, I decided to read the books too and I never regret my decision tho. The idea of this book since the first book was really great. The games were scary. It was a wonderful and awesome book. I love it when they decide to attack the Capitol. It was stressful to watch, let alone when I read it. Well, I just don't like the fact that Finnick has to die. But, the ending was great! I really loved it when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow. Overall, everything was very well written and the series is one of my favorites that I like to read them again and again and never get bored!
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Title: The Hunger Games
Series: Hunger Games Series
Genre:Young Adult, Adult, Science Fiction, Science Fiction, Romance, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic, Action
Short Summary: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Good and Bad Points: This is a great book that is never boring and very recommended. I love this book and how it was written, very easy to read. But, it was so tense and kinda scary if you imagine yourself in the game and try to keep yourself alive or you'd be killed. I'm not sure there are any bad points for this book, because I can't find one. The world building, its characters, and plots are great, it's just cool to write such a wonderful story. I love the books more than the movies because there are many things that haven't been told in the movie. But, the movies are already good.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Title: Gregor the Overlander
Series: The Underland Chronicles
Genre: Fantasy
Short Summary: This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny—and find his father—in a strange world beneath New York City.

Good and Bad Points: Just like The Hunger Games series, the first book of The Underland Chronicles is wonderful! The story was similar to Alice in Wonderland as the author thought about it when she wrote this book. A kid who falls down to Underland, a strange land to him, then there's a prophecy about him being a warrior who will save the land. It's great, even though maybe we can predict what would happen in the end, as a warrior would win the war and save all people, but it has plot twists, such as Henry's treachery, Ripred indeed being an ally even though he is a rat, or Ares choosing to save Gregor instead of his bonded. I love the names of the creatures that live in the Underland. The main characterㅡGregorㅡgives out the vibes of Peeta and Katniss. He is humble just like Peeta and brave like Katniss, I imagine him being their son xD. Love the moment Gregor bonded to Ares, Henry's bat. It's a brave action. The characters are pretty well created and written that made me like them all, even those supporting characters. This is a great book and recommended.
Viviana Kingston
No broom

Post by Viviana Kingston »

Genre: Dystopian, Fiction, Thriller, Science fiction, young adult

Comments + opinions:
When I tell you, Coryo has my heart, that is an understatement. I love me a good villain and Coryo seemed to have had the makings of a villain from birth. Before this, I vaguely remember watching the Hunger Games movies, so this is probably my proper introduction to the series, and as a prequel, I wasn’t sure what to expect. There was a lot of character development of mostly Coriolanus, and a lot of what I possibly think is Easter eggs for the Hunger Games series, it was a super cool read, though I feel that there were a lot of instances that if Coryo wasn’t so paranoid and calculating, things would have turned out differently and there were just as many times I found myself screaming at him in my head about his poor decisions. I’d like to blame his rise to villainy on circumstances, but it’s more inherent than anything else.
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
signature created by Katherine Laurier

Return to “The Bookshelf”