Moderator: Book Club Heads

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Book Review: Projekt 1065

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

Book Title: Project 1065
Author: Alan Gratz
Genre: Historical Fiction, Young Adult

This was a very good read, although not enough to make my favorites list. It was also a very fast read. I did like that it gave importance to the fact that children were a large part of World War II and the way the Nazi’s fought. Even though there were parts at the end that seemed unbelievable (it is historical fiction so why not go with it?), I was given a slightly better understanding of the brainwashing that was used during this time. I also liked being able to hear Michael’s thoughts throughout this period of time and how he was able to stick firmly to what he believed despite being right in the midst of everything, something I’m sure that was difficult to do given his age and the people around him. Michael was very brave in what he did, and when it came to Simon, important lessons had to be learned about sacrifice. Another part of this book that I liked. It stressed making sacrifices but the greater good no matter how hard or how wrong what a person has to do is in order for the greater good to win. I gave this 3/5 stars.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Re: Book Review: Projekt 1065

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I didn't realize that Shi had already read this one! I found this book because I read another book by Alan Gratz called Refugee and love that he found a way for me to enjoy history. I think Refugee had more history and less fiction to it, but this novel definitely painted a real picture of what Germany was like during WW2 for both adults and children. The most poignant part of the book for me was the author's message that conflict shouldn't be about what you're fighting against, but rather what you're fighting to protect. The author's note also says that every quote he had from Hitler in the book was something he really said, which I found very interesting. He didn't want to change anything about a real person through fictional portrayal.

I would agree with Shi on this one and give it a 3/5.

Return to “The Bookshelf”