Presenting book - The Princess Bride

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Presenting book - The Princess Bride

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Title of the book: The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure: The "Good Parts" Version Abridged / by William Goldman
Author: William Goldman
Series: unfortunately - a stand alone so far
Genres: fiction / adventure / true love

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure: The "Good Parts" Version Abridged / by William Goldman - William Goldman

Today I picked up a copy of this book at the library. Took it to the beach and started reading. Got to page two and called the library. "I would like to request The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern please. It's referred to in this book and I would like to read the original too!"

So the dedicated person with whom I spoke dedicated quite a lot of time looking for The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern. She even searched through Amazon for me, and through old books which are no longer published.

Yes, those of you who have read the book -- go ahead and laugh. In the meantime, I am going to watch the movie again, after I finish the book!

*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Presenting book - The Princess Bride

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I finished reading the book then, after my post in July 2016. Recently, partly for this challenge, and partly because I just watched the movie again, I picked it up and again read it through.

What a wonderful story. What a great book. What is very odd to me is that the movie, while based on the story told in the book, tells only a portion of what the book has in it!

There is a lot of background in the books which is only alluded to in the movie, if addressed at all. The thoughts of Westley and Buttercup -- the development of just why she was chosen to be the bride (the princess bride) -- there is just so much more depth in the book. The who and what of Inigo Montoya. More about ... well, everyone.

At the same time, the movie is complete in itself -- so the reading of the book is an enhancement of the movie -- and vice versa.

Pictures from the movie -- and the joy is they are quoted straight from the book! \o/

*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Adaleine Shuster

Re: Presenting book - The Princess Bride

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

Post by Adaleine Shuster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

Book Name: The Princess Bride
Author: William Goldman
Genre: Romance, fantasy, adventure
Good points/bad points: Honestly, I can't think of any bad points. It was a romance and an adventure, and the two worked wonderfully together. I didn't get bored with it, and I did indeed read almost non-stop.
Short summary:
Alright, I'm sorry to do this, but I have to. The book was about a girl named Buttercup who was raised on a farm. This guy who was like a servant on the farm, fell in love with her, and one day she realized that she loved him back. He set off for America that day, and the ship he was on was attacked by pirates. It was said that he died. Meanwhile Buttercup was going to marry someone that she didn't love, and didn't love her. He happened to be the prince of the country they were in. He planned to kill her, but hired three men to kidnapher. She was further taken by the man that had "died" on his way to America. I know. Long and confusing. I tried to make it short and not spoil everything, I'm not sure how I did.

Return to “The Bookshelf”