The Whole Nine Yards

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Whole Nine Yards

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Welcome to the Book Club and our March Activity.

Sky had the brilliant idea of calling it The Whole Nine Yards. I liked it but wondered what that phrase meant! Looking it up, I find that the phrase 'the whole nine yards' could possibly date back to the 1800s or even earlier.

These are not my words, they are from Google searches or from Sky's comments:
"The whole nine yards" or "the full nine yards" is a colloquial American English phrase meaning "everything, the whole lot" or, when used as an adjective, "all the way." Its first usage was the punch line of an 1855 Indiana comedic short story titled "The Judge's Big Shirt."
Another popular story holds that it refers to the length of an ammunition belt on World War II fighters — when a pilot had exhausted his ammunition, he said he had shot off the whole nine yards. Or it was the amount of cloth in the queen's bridal train, or in the Shroud of Turin.
Sky added
"Nine has been used as a superlative for a good few centuries now though (we can trace "to the nines" back to 18th century Scotland, for instance)."
But Sky also said "...lots of phrases have many, many different origin stories. Many of them are people trying to rationalise after the fact though and inventing a pretty story that fits the phrase (people call that "folk etymology") - if the story is a really nice fit, it's usually not true. ;) "
:lol:

Be it as it may, our March activity is called "The Whole Nine Yards" because it started with me volunteering to present a simple set of Sudoku puzzles, posted once a week, each featuring a famous (or not so famous) author. Somehow it grew to more!

In addition to solving the Sudoku puzzle for each author, you are invited to write 90 words about the author and/or create a collage of 9 separate images that represent their life/work.

There will be four Sudoku puzzles for you to solve. Once a week, a new puzzle will be presented to you that you solve and send me the answer. In addition, within the topic for each Sudoku puzzle, you are invited to reply, adding to our knowledge about the author featured in the puzzle, with a write-up of at least 90 words (written in your own words, remember, no AI!) and a graphic creation containing nine separate images for that author representing their life and their work.

For each part of the week's celebration of an author, you can earn 20 Beans. So if you solve the sudoku, do a write-up and create a graphic, you will earn 60 Beans. :D

In addition to the Beans earned, if you complete at least 8 (eight) of the 12 opportunities given you in The Whole Nine Yards, you will earn The Whole Nine Yards Award -- Image .

Week 1 - The Whole Nine Yards - Scamander
Week 2 - The Whole Nine Yards - Pratchett
Week 3 - The Whole Nine Yards - Steinbeck
Week 4 - The Whole Nine Yards - Stevenson

Everything will be due by March 31st, 11:59 pm HOL time.

If you have any further questions not covered here, please ask here - The Whole Nine Yards Questions - or send me a HOL PM.

If for accessibility reasons you can't complete any of the Forum activities, please just let me know and an alternative can be worked out.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Whole Nine Yards

Remember that everything is due by the end of March. ^_^

PS - Everyone is invited to join the party -- even now!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Thank you, all, for participating in the Book Club's 'The Whole Nine Yards' activity!

I see a flurry of Sudoku answers sent into my PM box, before the March 31st deadline. Yay!

I will go check them ... hopefully tomorrow night as I'm now, after a long extended weekend, currently going to sleep about 48 hours (not really, have tons of stuff to do tomorrow in the morning and during the day, so that is wishful thinking :lol: ), and then find out who all did what and hand out Awards and Beans!

Again, thank you for joining in with us and exploring our wonderful authors.

Tune in to this station tomorrow! :ph34r:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Again, thank you for joining us in our March, The Whole Nine Yards, activity.

The weeks of The Whole Nine Yards and people who participated in them:

Week 1 - Scamander
Discussion
Maverick Bradshaw
Janne Halla
River Fenwick
Dibyarup James Potter
Hiya Debnath
Adeline Morior
Collage
Maverick Bradshaw
River Fenwick
Dibyarup James Potter
Hiya Debnath
Adeline Morior
Sudoku
River Fenwick
Rosalinda Malfoy
Dibyarup James Potter
Anne-Marie Gagne
Hiya Debnath
Maeve Madden
Adeline Morior
Viviana Kingston
Janne Halla

Week 2 - Pratchett
Discussion
River Fenwick
Janne Halla
Hiya Debnath
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Collage
River Fenwick
Hiya Debnath
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Sudoku
River Fenwick
Dibyarup James Potter
Lex Green
Hiya Debnath
Rosalinda Malfoy
Maeve Madden
Adeline Morior
Janne Halla

Week 3 - Steinbeck
Discussion
Hiya Debnath
River Fenwick
Janne Halla
Dibyarup James Potter
Collage
Hiya Debnath
River Fenwick
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Sudoku
Hiya Debnath
River Fenwick
Lex Green
Dibyarup James Potter
Rosalinda Malfoy
Adeline Morior
Maeve Madden
Janne Halla

Week 4 - Stevenson
Discussion
River Fenwick
Hiya Debnath
Janne Halla
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Collage
River Fenwick
Hiya Debnath
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Sudoku
Lex Green
Hiya Debnath
River Fenwick
Dibyarup James Potter
Adeline Morior
Maeve Madden
Janne Halla

Thank you all!

Beans, 20 Beans per activity completed, have been sent to the people earning them.

The Whole Nine Yards Award goes to those people who completed at least 8 (eight) of the 12 activities.

These people are:
*drum roll*
Adeline Morior
Dibyarup James Potter
Hiya Debnath
Janne Halla
River Fenwick

Of note is that three of those people, Dibyarup James Potter, Hiya Debnath and River Fenwick did all 12 of the activities, thus earning both the Award and the full amount of Beans (240) offered!

Congratulations!

My thanks to Professor Sky Alton and Emily Spencer, for their advice, encouragement and help during this activity. Their levity and support, in addition to the wonderful posts by all who participated, helped make this a very enjoyable time for me! :)
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Thank you so much for organizing such a fun activity, Professor.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

Thank you for organising this wonderful event Tarma, Sky, and Emily. I really loved it all! I must mention that adding in all those specially designed letters were a pain, but that's alright :P it was fun regardless.
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

Wonderful fun. Thank you for this event.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Book Club”