Announcing the October Read-Along!

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Announcing the October Read-Along!

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

In October, the HOL Book Club will be holding a read-along of Mister Monday by Garth Nix!

Join us as we venture into the magical and strange realm of The House where things are as bewildering as they are dangerous.

Here’s what Goodreads has to say about the book:
On the first day , there was mystery.

Arthur Penhaligon is not supposed to be a hero. He is, in fact, supposed to die an early death. But then his life is saved by a key shaped like the minute hand of a clock.

Arthur is safe - but his world is not. Along with the key comes a plague brought by bizarre creatures from another realm. A stranger named Mister Monday, his avenging messengers with bloodstained wings, and an army of dog-faced Fetchers will stop at nothing to get the key back - even if it means destroying Arthur and everything around him.

Desperate, Arthur ventures into a mysterious house - a house that only he can see. It is in this house that Arthur must unravel the secrets of the key - and discover his true fate.
The book is written for a middle-grade audience and above (with the publisher recommending it for ages 7 and up), so should be suitable for HOL members of any age. However, it does feature a high level of threat, some darker fantasy elements and a fictional pandemic which some readers might find challenging.

There will be discussion prompts and small creative tasks for you to sink your teeth into. Everything will be posted all at the same time, so you can read (and discuss) at your own pace.

It all begins on the 1st of October but we’re giving you advanced warning so you can track down a copy ahead of time, either from your book shop of choice or your local library. If they don’t have it listed, remember that you can usually request the librarian order it for you or get it via inter-library loan.

We hope you can join us!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Rose Dove
No broom

Re: Announcing the October Read-Along!

Post by Rose Dove »

I read this series when I was younger! It was pretty dark for younger crowds but also really good. I remember enjoying it and appreciating the book titles following the days of the week. It is definitely a unique story.

Return to “Book Club”