Ella Enchanted - Discuss Chapters 1-6

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Ella Enchanted - Discuss Chapters 1-6

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we’ll be discussing chapters 1 through 6 of Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine!

Feel free to offer any thoughts that you like or to use some of our suggested questions below. There’s a range of discussion type questions and also a few more creative/imaginative prompts, so feel free to do whichever take your fancy.

If you include specifics about the plot, please remember to use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for someone who might have clicked on this post by mistake. You can do this by typing

Code: Select all

[spoiler] around your text[/spoiler]
Discussion
"Tonic tasted nutty and good, but it felt slimy, like swallowing a frog."
This is such an evocative passage, and brilliantly written. What did you feel when you read this? Did you think about the taste of the Tonic, being nutty and good. Or did you think about swallowing something slimy, and nutty tasting as it slipped down your throat? Or ... did you wonder if a frog was actually slimy?
~ or ~
Ogres are so dangerous ... "They knew your secrets just by looking at you, and they used their knowledge. When they wanted to be, they were irresistibly persuasive. By the end of an ogre’s first sentence in Kyrrian, you forgot his pointy teeth, the dried blood under his fingernails, and the coarse black hair that grew on his face in clumps. He became handsome in your eyes, and you thought him your best friend. By the end of the second sentence, you were so won over that he could do whatever he wanted with you, drop you in a pot to cook, or, if he was in a hurry, eat you raw."
I wonder, how did the ogres get caged if they are that powerful? I'd not read enough of the book, when I first read about the ogres, so I was wondering that. How would a person go about capturing them? Maybe more to the point, why would a person want to capture, and cage, ogres?

Creative
What do you think might be some ingredients of the Tonic? What would be the more mundane ingredients, such as the liquid base being water or milk or something else -- and what would possibly be ingredients of a magical nature?
~ or ~
Perhaps the Tonic needs to be in a special kind of container. What would that container look like? Draw it! Remember to keep all graphics to 600x600. Thank you.

You can write as much or as little as you want (this is meant to be a bit of easy fun) but please do try to write at least a few lines for each topic to avoid spam. You’ll earn 15 beans for responding to this thread.

The deadline for earning beans is 11:59 PM HOL-time on 31st August 2022.

Post written by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Re: Ella Enchanted - Discuss Chapters 1-6

Post by Louis Walles »

Creative

I think that the tonic would contain some thai tea and plenty of honey to make it more pleasant to whoever is using it. It could have some magical ingredients such as unicorn hair
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Re: Ella Enchanted - Discuss Chapters 1-6

Post by Harry Walles »

Creative

I think the tonic is purely based on magical ingredients, most being available to purchase in the Harry Potter universe. A good guess may be mandrake root and some African Sea Salt.

Return to “Book Club”