The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 3 and 4

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 3 and 4

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we’ll be discussing chapters 3 and 4 of The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy!

Feel free to offer any thoughts that you like or to use some of our suggested questions below. There’s a range of discussion type questions and also a few more creative/imaginative prompts, so feel free to do whichever take your fancy.

If you include specifics about the plot, please remember to use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for someone who might have clicked on this post by mistake. You can do this by typing

Code: Select all

[spoiler] around your text[/spoiler]

Discussion
“Pleading with people like Ethel never works. It only makes them feel their power.” – Have you ever met a person like Ethel? Do you think you would have let yourself be goaded into doing something as unfortunate as Mildred did here?
Have you ever panicked like Mildred did with her potion and ruined something with a last minute addition?
Mildred thinks Miss Cackle is nice but she was quite harsh here. Do you think this was a reasonable way to try to get Mildred on the right track? Do you think Mildred isn’t trying hard enough or is there another reason why she’s struggling so much?

Creative
We hear about one of the rules in the witches code here, what do you think some others might be? Feel free to make them as sensible or silly as you like.
Miss Hardbroom says that a laughter potion should be made quickly in case of an emergency. What emergency do you think could possibly call for a laughter potion?

You can write as much ore as little as you want (this is meant to be a bit of easy fun) but please do try to write at least a few lines for each topic to avoid spam. You’ll earn 15 beans for responding to this thread.

The deadline for earning beans is 11:59 PM HOL-time on 31st August 2022.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Re: The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 3 and 4

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Discussion

- Fortunately, I never met someone like Ethel. But, even if I have, I would just try my best to ignore them as much as possible, because if not then I would be tempted to do bad things to them, which I might regret later.
- Yes, I have with my work in RL. Once I made mistake with calculation and only realized it when my work was about to be uploaded by another co-worker :s
- Even though Miss Cackle's words sound harsh, her aura isn't as terrifying as Miss Hardbroom. And I think Mildred felt more comfortable being reprimanded by Miss Cackle than Miss Hardbroom. Miss Cackle, although stern, she seemed soft.

Creative
- Students should not let their hair down.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Discussion:

Hopefully, I wouldn't be goaded into something and hope I would succeed but I think sometimes that can be hard, as, unfortunately, some people are so very good at pulling other people in trouble or manipulating them.

I can't recall having an incident like that when something is added at the last minute but I have definitely found myself in situations where I've rushed too much and ended up tipping things over.

Miss Cackle was a bit harsh but it was not out of nastiness or spite. It feels like it was a bit out of frustration and out of disappointment because she wants Mildred to do well. Mildred does try hard enough but sometimes the thoughts about moments in the past in which she has been unsuccessful sometimes creep into the present and hinder her because she worries that things will go wrong again.

Creative

As to using a laughter potion in an emergency, it doesn't really make much sense because emergencies usually involve serious incidents, and it would be improper to have someone giggling or bouts of laughter. Perhaps the potion would come in handy if someone was feeling very fed up and needed cheering up.

One of the Witches Code rules should include an aim to promote kindness and
banish unkindness. Perhaps another should be that no Cackles Academy student should have to wear a uniform that is dull or boring- but a very colourful, vibrant one instead :)
Elizabeth Hermione
No broom

Post by Elizabeth Hermione »

I really love the story now! It is getting more and more interesting
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Discussion

1. I have had the misfortune to meet someone like Ethel but worse I'd say. I have never let the said person control me in such manner as I am a very straightforward fella.

2. Oh plenty of time I did. I have a habit of failing exams by missing just one point. It always annoys me.

3. I think Miss Cackle is not as nice as Mildred thinks. In fact, I found her response quite mean. She should have supported Mildred better and not be as critical of her.

Creative

1. I think one of the other rules is to never let your black kitten get lost. What is a witch without a black cat anyway?

2. If there is a laughter potion, there has to be a cry potion. It may be a form of cure if one took too much of the cry potion.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

Discussion

1. I am lucky enough to have never met anyone as cruel and annoying to me as Ethel. I have met a few individuals who were rather keen on getting on me nerves but never so much as Ethel to Mildred.

2. I have once participated in a math challenge and I have made full calculations to one problem but then decided to change it all up as I thought it may be wrong. Well, the original calculations were right and the latter wrong, which made me being disqualified :unsure:

3. I agree with Louis that Miss Cackle was way too harsh on Mildred and she should not have been of such attitude towards her. Some extra assistance would do just fine.

Creative

1. 'Remember to never try any of the potions on your relative, especially mother. You will be met with awful consequences of legal nature.'

2. It could be used in form of a therapeutic medicine, such as to treat depression or anxiety.

Return to “Book Club”