The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 7 and 8

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 7 and 8

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we’ll be discussing chapters 7 and 8 of The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy!

Feel free to offer any thoughts that you like or to use some of our suggested questions below. There’s a range of discussion type questions and also a few more creative/imaginative prompts, so feel free to do whichever take your fancy.

If you include specifics about the plot, please remember to use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for someone who might have clicked on this post by mistake. You can do this by typing

Code: Select all

[spoiler] around your text[/spoiler]
Discussion
“Even Maud was being very cool towards her friend.” Do you think you would have treated Mildred like this if you’d been a student?
Mildred considers telling on Ethel but decides that she never could. Do you think Mildred is being too honourable here? Would you have told under these circumstances?
Do you think Mildred’s plan to deal with the witches was the best one under the circumstances? Or was she taking an unnecessary risk?

Creative
We know that bats whiskers and pond weed are ingredients for the invisibility potion and that it needs to simmer for a bit. Write up a snippet of the recipe with some more of the ingredients and instructions.
What do you think the spoken part of the spell for turning someone into an animal is? Does it rhyme? Is it in English?

You can write as much ore as little as you want (this is meant to be a bit of easy fun) but please do try to write at least a few lines for each topic to avoid spam. You’ll earn 15 beans for responding to this thread.

The deadline for earning beans is 11:59 PM HOL-time on 31st August 2022.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Re: The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 7 and 8

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Discussion

I like to think that I would have acted differently to Maud; such as, trying to be sympathetic and understanding towards Mildred, though I can see why Maud might have felt the way she did.

I might have told someone because under those kind of circumstances I would probably have felt the need to explain myself while giving my apologies.

Creative

Ingredients:

Bat whiskers
Pondweed
chopped reed
Chameleon spit
Boiling water (half a cup full)

Method:

Add all the ingredients to the boiling water ( except for the chameleon spit). Constantly stir in an anti-clockwise direction until the liquid begins to turn blue and thicken slightly. Remove the bits of reed ( which can be stored away to use in another spell that requires boiled reed) and leave the potion to cool completely. Finally, add the chameleon spit and wait for the liquid to turn clear and translucent, like water, then bottle it up.

Maybe the words to the spell would rhyme, though that might be a challenge especially if the words were in Latin. Latin always automatically sounds magical :)
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Discussion

- No, I wouldn't do that to Mildred. It's a pity that Maud who has been her friend treats her like that. At the time like that, Mildred might need someone to talk to, luckily she has the cat.
- Yes, she is. But, even though she told them, would people believe her? Maybe they would just think Mildred want to blame Ethel for her misfortune. If it's me, then I would do the same, especially Ethel is just like that, I would just ignore it even though I'm upset. Though, if I have to tell people, them it would be my trusted people.
- I can't say it's the best, but maybe she was just desperate or angry with those witches who want to turn people at her school into frogs.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Discussion

1. No, I am a loyal friend so regardless of anything I would remind on her side.
2. I would not tell Ethel anything. It was her fault anyway that got Mildred into trouble
3. I would have done exactly the same thing. They can be turned back by Miss Cackle anyway.

Creative
I think the spell that turns someone into any animal is indeed in English but it changes regarding what animal you want to turn the individual into.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

Discussion
I am a faithful friend as well and so I would not be ditching my friend due to something so bias as such. I think I would tell Ethel regardless of anything. I mean the situation was serious and a stupid disagreement won't make it sensible to let her suffer. I also think that what Mildred done to stop them was a really smart thinking!

Creative
I think that the spell that turns someone into an animal is in Latin but I really have no idea how would it go!

Return to “Book Club”