The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 9 and 10

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 9 and 10

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we’ll be discussing chapters 9 and 10 of The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy!

Feel free to offer any thoughts that you like or to use some of our suggested questions below. There’s a range of discussion type questions and also a few more creative/imaginative prompts, so feel free to do whichever take your fancy.

If you include specifics about the plot, please remember to use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for someone who might have clicked on this post by mistake. You can do this by typing

Code: Select all

[spoiler] around your text[/spoiler]
Discussion
Would you have believed Mildred if you were Miss Hardbroom and Miss Cackle?
Ethel gives herself away for the sake of bragging here. Antagonists seem to like talking about their plans which is very convenient for the protagonist but perhaps not so much for the perpetrator. If you were up to something evil, would you announce it for anyone to hear and forgo the chance to brag?
Do you think these events will give Mildred a little more self-confidence? And do you think that will help her improve at her studies?

Creative
We don’t hear what happens to Agatha and her witches. Think of a suitable, inventive punishment for them (baring in mind that this is a children’s book, so nothing too nasty, please)
Think of a better excuse Mildred could have given for being out in the forest.

You can write as much ore as little as you want (this is meant to be a bit of easy fun) but please do try to write at least a few lines for each topic to avoid spam. You’ll earn 15 beans for responding to this thread.

The deadline for earning beans is 11:59 PM HOL-time on 31st August 2022.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Re: The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 9 and 10

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Discussion

Most probably I wouldn't have believed Mildred straight away because Mildred's tale would have come across as a bit far-stretched or unbelievable, especially if I was Miss Hardbroom. Had I been Miss Cackle, I may not have believed Mildred right away but maybe I would have tried to keep an open mind and be prepared to change it

Would I brag? Ummm, maybe that depends on whether I thought my friends were loyal and trustworthy or not.

Hopefully the event and the outcome will remind Mildred that she can make the right decisions, act on them and can do positive things, especially if she finds herself going through a hard time. I imagine that they will also make her feel very proud of herself too.

Creative
I should think that a castle school would take a lot of effort to keep clean and tidy, so maybe they should be given cleaning and tidying duties to deal with- Muggle style- inside and outside the castle for at least a week.

As Prof.Sky Alton mentions, we don't get to know what happens to Agatha and her group.
I would love to know what everyone here thinks the reason is for this. Is it so as not to distract the reader from what happens to the protagonist or is there another reason?

Perhaps Mildred could have said she felt like going camping in the forest for the night?
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Discussion

- If I'm Miss Hardbroom, I wouldn't believe Mildred at first. Because I don't have a proof that she was telling the truth.
- Nah, I won't do it, since I don't know what would happen in the future.
- I hope she will become more confident and also change into a better student.

Creative

- The punishment for them is: They aren't allowed to use magic for a certain time.
- The excuse that Mildred would say is, she is out in the forest to looks for herbs.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Discussion

1. Of course I would. You can't treat Mildred as a liar just because her luck is on the bad side.
2. I would have never talked about what I would have had in mind. I know the whole case would turn against me
3. I think they will since she now has more support from the teachers as well and they see her as more reliable.

Creative

I think they may have been turned into frogs and being used as fly catchers!

One of the excuses Mildred could have used was to study the stars to discover the future!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

Discussion

1. I would be a bit suspicious whether her claim is true but I would probably give her a go to fully explain herself and double check everything.
2. It would have been tempting to talk about myself so much, as well as my evil plan but I would try really hard to stop myself before it would all be revealed and I would get into trouble.
3. Oh absolutely, now she has in mind that she is unstoppable and that always helps with confidence and motivation.

Creative

They may have been turned into kittens and then given to younger students.
I would use an excuse of being a sleepwalker and just waking up just in time to overhear everything.

Return to “Book Club”