Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

'Tis the Season Discussion #1

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame:
"There's cold chicken inside it," replied the Rat briefly:
"coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrolls–
cresssandwichespottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater—"
We encounter so many dishes and foods while reading our books. Have you ever actually made a dish based on something you read in a book? Or is there something you want to create, and haven't done so yet? Tell us about it!

What was the book, what was the food, have you made it, was it a success, etc? (Yes, butterbeer cookies count!)

You need a minimum of 100 words in your post to count towards for Beans and the Award.

Remember to post by January 20th, 11:59pm HOL time.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: 'Tis the Season Discussion #1

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I actually tried to make lembas, elven waybread from The Lord of the Rings, on several occasions. Accounts online did not seem to agree on whether it was a type of bread (despite it being mostly called “Lembras bread”) or a cookie-based food. So, being the overachiever that I am, I decided to make both versions.

For the bread variation, I made it similar to naan bread, so “flatter”. It was my first time making that type of bread and while it was not a huge success, it was not a failure either. It was edible, so we ate it and I am sure that with some practice, I could make a good enough bread.

As for the cookie variation, I made it from the same type of cookie dough that is particular for shortbread. That I had more practice with and it was a resounding success!
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

I’ve made several dishes and meals inspired by my reading and I love reading recipes other people have come up with to try to recreate fictional treats. Treacle Tart is a particular favourite.
The most hilarious experiment was the time I tried to make popcorn balls when I was around 12 and obsessed with historical fiction, like Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House Books. Now, I should emphasise that these balls are meant to be a real treat and pretty enough that you can hang them on the Christmas tree as a decoration… (keep that in mind as we go).
First things first, I had to make the popcorn in the microwave which didn’t exactly give the authentic experience of listening to the bubbling pan and the kernels bursting. Then, I had to bind it together with hot sugar (I think we used a treacle mixture) and shape it into balls. I have never encountered anything so unwilling to stick together in my life!
When the sugar had set, we were left with some deformed clusters that looked more like samples from a geology lab than something anyone would ever want to hang up to celebrate Yule. But it would all be worth it, just so long as they tasted good, right?
Reader: they were inedible. The sugar that had refused to stick the popcorn together when it was hot had solidified into a tooth-shattering substance which I’m fairly sure you could have used to varnish outdoor furniture. A heart-warming Christmas treat out on the prairie this was not.
I can only imagine that there’s a knack to it that I just didn’t grasp (that or people were much less discerning back then…). It hasn’t put me off trying to recreate dishes from books though and I will definitely be trying out a recipe for butterbeer cookies over the festive period. I just hope they’re not quite as hard on the teeth…
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I am not a great cook - to be honest I am totally awful in the kitchen and I barely can prepare basic meals. Therefore no, I have never prepared any meal from the books or movies. However, I always wanted to try some butterbeer. I know it's no food but drink, however I was always tempted by it. I know that you can potentially buy some Butterbeer online, e.g. on Ebay, however I do think it's a bit too expensive (sometimes even £10 for one bottle so...c'mon), so making one seems the most sensible thing to do. I'm scared I will burn the house down though haha
Last edited by Louis Walles on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

I would not call myself a very good cook but I do have to admit my family rather enjoys my cooking so...I guess it's a matter of opinion. I did cook one thing from the books. A few years ago I made some home-baked mince pies. From what I recall, in the Harry Potter world, Molly Weasley cooked some mince pies for Christmas in 1993. Additionally, mince pies were served in 1996 during the Christmas Party at the Slug Club Christmas Party. Therefore I think this could be linked with the book of Harry Potter, despite this being a regular Christmas treat in the UK.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I fancy myself a ‘home chef’, so throughout the years I have tried several dishes inspired by books I have read.

Little House on the Prairie byLaura Ingalls Wilder inspired one of my husband’s favorite dishes. Apples and onions was apparently one of Armando Wilder’s favorites, and when I started reading (rereading for me) the Little House books with my daughter, I knew we had to try to recreate at least one of the meals shared by our beloved pioneers. Admittedly, the hard tack biscuits were not my greatest culinary hits, but the apples and onions made a definite hit.

From Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, my daughter and I (who has inherited her love of cooking from dear old mum) made Strawberry Tarts. Now admittedly, I am a better savory cook than a baker, so the end result was far from perfect, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Harry Potter, of course, has been a veritable treasure trove of recipes. Butterbeer is high on the list. I’ve tried several recipes (both alcoholic and non) and while it’s not exactly ‘cooking’, I do enjoy it. I’ve also tried my had at treacle tart and Cornish pasties, the latter proving much more successful of the two. In fact, they’ve become one of my personal favorites, so I make them quite often.

That’s just to name a few; I love to read and cook, so the two go naturally hand-in-hand.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Crystal Snow
No broom

Post by Crystal Snow »

I have tried making several different foods and beverages from different movies and stories .
One type of beverage which I have tried making before is Butterbeer, The drink Butterbeer is famous for being in the Harry Potter series.
A type of food which I have tried making before which turned out sucessfully well is corn dog muffins which the cartoon character Mickey Mouse loves to eat.
Another type of food which I have tried making before is rice porridge which Mushu from the film Mulan loves to eat .

(Word count - 114 )
Crystal.A.Snow

Return to “Book Club”