Halloween Party: The Graveyard Book Read Along

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Halloween Party: The Graveyard Book Read Along

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Welcome to our Halloween party read-along of Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book!

Here's the Goodreads Summary of the book:
Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a perfectly normal boy. Well, he would be perfectly normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor the world of the dead.

There are dangers and adventures for Bod in the graveyard: the strange and terrible menace of the Sleer; a gravestone entrance to a desert that leads to the city of ghouls; friendship with a witch, and so much more.

But it is in the land of the living that real danger lurks, for it is there that the man Jack lives and he has already killed Bod's family.
*Note: The Graveyard Book has been specifically designed to be appropriate for younger readers (as well as thrilling for older ones) but there are still some pretty scary passages. It also features frank discussions about death.

If you haven’t managed to get your hands on a copy yet, don’t worry. The book isn't particularly long and you have until Halloween itself (31 October) to join in!

There are 4 discussion topics in total, each covering 2 of the 8 chapters. Please respond at your own pace. There are no required wordcounts here. Just feel free to share your thoughts in whatever way you want (providing they're HOL appropriate, of course).

I’ve also provided discussion points for each chapter but you are more than welcome to ignore these and do your own thing.

Chapters 1 and 2
Chapters 3 and 4
Chapters 5 and 6
Chapters 7 and 8

If you respond to at least 2 of the discussion threads, you’ll earn 20 beans!

Happy reading!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Book Club”