Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Quick Quotes Round Two

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

A phrase you could see on a t-shirt

From Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
"I have not the pleasure of understanding you."
Graphic shows a white t-shirt. On the t-shirt a gray kitten faces us through a cut-out (like a window); its paws are on the sill. It has a white bib, paws and facial area and blue eyes. It is wearing a blue ribbon tied in a bow around its neck. On the bow is a yellow flower.
Words above the kitten: "I have not the pleasure of understanding you. Jane Austin"
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Truth! Freedom! Justice! And a hard-boiled egg!
--- Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

Beans have been sent!

Our next prompt for December is:

Something to be glad about

For example:
No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always a choice,
From: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Something to be glad about

From The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
I was also given a horse.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

I carried recipes in my head like maps.
--- Chocolat by Joanne Harris
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

Beans have been sent!

Our last prompt for December is:

Words on entrance sign to haunted castle

For example:
Enter, stranger, but take heed of what awaits the sin of greed, For those who take, but do not earn, must pay most dearly in their turn.
From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Words on entrance sign to haunted castle

From The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Speak, friend, and enter."
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Once again...welcome to my house. Come freely. Go safely; and leave something of the happiness you bring.
--- Dracula by Bram Stoker
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Beans have been sent! ^_^

Welcome to 2022 - and our first January Quick Quotes Round Two prompt:

A 'curious' first line of a book

From Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
This is where the dragons went.
Post your quotes for the prompt below. Please be sure to make sure that the quotes you post (and the books they come from) are HOL-appropriate. Thank you.
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

It was there, all the time, in the middle of the table in plain sight.
From The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
--- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Beans are sent! :ph34r:

January 2022 Quick Quotes Round Two continues with:

Something scary for which to watch out

From Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
Someone out there was about to find out that their worst nightmare was a maddened Librarian.
With a badge.
Post your quotes for the prompt below. Please be sure to make sure that the quotes you post (and the books they come from) are HOL-appropriate. Thank you.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

The search for truth takes us to dangerous places,” said Old Woman Josie. “Often it takes us to that most dangerous place: the library. You know who said that? No? George Washington did. Minutes before librarians ate him.
--- Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom unless the writing be erased.
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

As Nell opens the door to take out a plastic container of bubbling white gloop, my stomach heaves.
From In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Beans are sent! :mellow:

Our next January 2022 Quick Quotes Round Two prompt is:

An involved explanation

From Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett
Ponder's mouth dropped open.
Then he said, as sourly as he dared, "I probably forgot to take into account that there's three right angles in a triangle, didn't I? Er. I'll have to try and work everything back, but I think that somehow a lateral component was introduced into what should have been a bidirectional sortilegic transfer. It's probably that this was most pronounced at the effective median point, causing an extra node to appear in the transfers at a point equidistant to the other two as prediction in Flume's Third Equation, and Turffe's Law would see to it that the distortion would stabilize in such a way as to create three separate points, each moving a roughly equal mass one jump around the triangle. I'm not sure why the third mass arrived here at such speed, but I think the increased velocity might have been caused by the sudden creation of the node. Of course, it might have been going quite fast anyway. But I shouldn't think it is cooked in its natural state."
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
--- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

The full moon, well risen in a cloudless eastern sky, covered the high solitude with its light. We are not conscious of daylight as that which displaces darkness. Daylight, even when the sun is clear of clouds, seems to us simply the natural condition of the earth and air. When we think of the downs, we think of the downs in daylight, as with think of a rabbit with its fur on. Stubbs may have envisaged the skeleton inside the horse, but most of us do not: and we do not usually envisage the downs without daylight, even though the light is not a part of the down itself as the hide is part of the horse itself. We take daylight for granted. But moonlight is another matter. It is inconstant. The full moon wanes and returns again. Clouds may obscure it to an extent to which they cannot obscure daylight. Water is necessary to us, but a waterfall is not. Where it is to be found it is something extra, a beautiful ornament. We need daylight and to that extent it us utilitarian, but moonlight we do not need. When it comes, it serves no necessity. It transforms. It falls upon the banks and the grass, separating one long blade from another; turning a drift of brown, frosted leaves from a single heap to innumerable flashing fragments; or glimmering lengthways along wet twigs as though light itself were ductile. Its long beams pour, white and sharp, between the trunks of trees, their clarity fading as they recede into the powdery, misty distance of beech woods at night. In moonlight, two acres of coarse bent grass, undulant and ankle deep, tumbled and rough as a horse's mane, appear like a bay of waves, all shadowy troughs and hollows. The growth is so thick and matted that event the wind does not move it, but it is the moonlight that seems to confer stillness upon it. We do not take moonlight for granted. It is like snow, or like the dew on a July morning. It does not reveal but changes what it covers. And its low intensity---so much lower than that of daylight---makes us conscious that it is something added to the down, to give it, for only a little time, a singular and marvelous quality that we should admire while we can, for soon it will be gone again.
From Watership Down by Richard Adams
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

*ding ding ding ding* Emily gets the prize for outrageously wordy! :lol:

Beans have been given out :)

Our next January 2022 Quick Quotes Round Two offering is:

Succinct and sweet

From The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman
"As you wish."
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

You are your best thing.
--- Beloved by Toni Morrison

Return to “Book Club”