Book to the Future (Reading Challenge)

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Book to the Future (Reading Challenge)

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Welcome to Book to the Future!

We were planning on just hosting our usual summer reading challenge this year but then I received a very mysterious message written on the back of a receipt from 2143…

It turned out to be from the Agency of Literary Time Travelers asking for our assistance in their ongoing mission to explore and document as many years as possible. And I don’t know about you but I make it a habit not to argue with anyone who has access to a time machine!

The Challenge
So, how will this work? It starts with you posting a reply to this thread with the number of books that you’d like to read between Monday 12th July and Sunday 22nd August.

To prove you’ve read the right number of books during this period, you’ll need to post about them somewhere around the Book Club. This could be a review or a presenting author in The Bookshelf. It could also be a new discussion or contribution to an existing one in Between the Pages.

But where does the Agency of Literary Time Travelers come in? Glad you asked! You won’t just be reading these books, you’ll be using them as portals to travel back (or forward) in time. We’ll be working as a team to cover as many years as we possibly can and I’ll be recording it all on our Literary Timeline.

Beans/Awards
What’s in it for you? You mean aside from the thrill of bounding between the timestreams? Well, for every year you cover, you’ll earn 5 beans. And at the end, I’ll give everyone who takes part 1 bean for every year we manage to cover as a group. So, if we manage to cover 25 years, everyone who reads at least one book will get an extra 25 beans.

People who manage to read the number of books they pledged will receive the shiny Book to the Future award! Image (graphic shows two books, stacked horizontally, surmounted by a time turner)

The Rules
Yes, I’m afraid there are some. Time Travel is a risky business, you see.

Claiming a Year
There are a couple of ways to claim a year:
1. The book must have a good chunk (5 pages at least) of the story take place in the year you specify (it can’t just be a passing reference).
2. The actual year must be mentioned directly somewhere in the text of the book. Just because a story is set in the Victorian era generally doesn’t mean you can pick a random year during that period.
3. These need to be earth years (so Shire Years from the Lord of the Rings wouldn’t count)
4. If multiple years are featured in one book, you can choose any of them that you like.
5. You can also claim the year the book was originally published in (but not the year your particular edition was published in as some books have so many editions it wouldn’t be fair).
6. If someone has already claimed the year you were going to use and you don’t have an alternative year for that book that you'd like to use, you can still claim it and will get joint credit on the timeline.

Book and Pledging Criteria
1. You may not lower your original pledge. You can raise it though if you think you’ll be able to read more.
2. Audio books, E-books, short story collections, books of poetry, plays, graphic novels and rereading all count.
3. Unfortunately, online fanfiction and unpublished stories don’t count.
4. You may only count books that you read during the challenge period. If you started a book before the activity began on the 12th of July, then you may count it if you finished the bulk of it after the start date.
5. You must have posted about a book to be able to count it. You must also follow the posting guidelines in the overview threads for each forum.
6. Please remember that we have members of all ages on HOL and try to choose your books carefully. The later Harry Potter books are a good guide to the level of threat, adult content and bad language that we consider appropriate. If you think your book contains material that might be upsetting or inappropriate for a younger audience, please include a warning so that people can make an informed choice.

How to Claim a Book and a Year
Please edit your reply to this thread every time you finish a book. You should include a link to your post about that book and the year you want it to count for. You should also provide a brief explanation of why that book counts for that particular year. For instance:
Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (link)
Year: 1997
Reason: Original Publication date

I’ll then verify that and update the timeline. You can also keep track of your progress in the dedicated spreadsheet. I’ll do my best to update as often as I can but it may take a few days. You’ll receive your beans and awards once the activity has finished.

You’ll need to post about all your books by 11:59 PM HOL-time on 22nd August.

I think that’s everything you need to know before embarking on your wibbly wobbly timey wimey adventure. Good luck out there! And whatever you do… Don’t step on any butterflies.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Re: Book to the Future (Reading Challenge)

Post by Iverian Gnash »

This looks like a lot of fun!! I’m pledging two books!

Book: Out of my Mind
Year: 2010
Reason: Was originally published in

Book: I Will Always Write Back
Year: 2015

Book: Counting By Sevens
Year: 2013
Reason: Was Originally Published In
Last edited by Iverian Gnash on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I’ll pledge 4 books.

Book: Witch Child
Year: 1659
Reason: Year in which the book was set

Book: The Royal Governess
Year: 1933
Reason: Year in which the book was set

Book:Seven Ways to Kill a King
Year: 2020
Reason: Year the book was published

Book: The Witch of Willow Hall
Year: 1821
Year in which the book was set
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

I'll pledge 3 books!

Book: Huan Zhu Ge Ge
Year: 1993
Last edited by Silvana Mandeville on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Two books for me!

Book: The Children of Men by P. D. James
Year: 2021
Reason: First line in the book is "Friday, 1 January 2021", so we know the majority of the story is going on in 2021.

Book: Tales from the Gast Station Vol. 1 by Jack Townsend
Year: 2018
Reason: First released in 2018.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I will pledge two also!

Book: Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
Year: 1943
Reason: Year in which the book is set

Book: Echo Mountain by Lauren Wolk
Year: 1934
Reason: Year in which the book is set
Last edited by Prof. Kendra Givens on Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

I will also start with pledging 2 books!

Book: Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
Year: 1986
Reason: Year in which the book was set (at least an important chunk of it)

Book: My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki
Year: 1998
Reason: Year the book was published
Last edited by Aurelia West on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Three for me. :)

Book: These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
Year: 1756 1926
Reason: As best as I can figure out the date of the story, it is set 1756.
M. le Prince de Condé is 20 in the story (page 417).
Louis Joseph de Bourbon (9 August 1736 – 13 May 1818) was Prince of Condé from 1740 to his death. A member of the House of Bourbon, he held the prestigious rank of Prince du Sang.

Year: changed to 1926 - this is the year of original publication. Sky brought it to my attention that the year is not specifically mentioned in the text of the book! :o

Book: Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
Year: copyright - 1958; published January 1, 1959
Reason: Year it was published and I think, also, it is written as a 'contemporary' story.

Book: Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer
Year: 1811 (and 1812)
Reason: On page 3, "And that," concluded Miss Tavener, "was written three months ago--you may see the date for yourself, Perry: 29th June 1811-- and not even in his own hand."
On page 322, a letter written by the Earl of Worth to Judith Taverner, is dated June 25th, 1812. The letter talks about them meeting the next day to conduct some business.

Book: Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer
Year: 1932
Reason: This book was published in 1932.

Book: A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer
Year: 1941
Reason: it was published in 1941
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Two books for me please :)
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

I will pledge two books! :)

(Kendra talking about it has inspired me :D )
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

I’ll pledge a book. Vaguely and loosely ;P
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Evelin Stockom
No broom

Post by Evelin Stockom »

I'll start by pledging two books too pls :)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Remember there's just under a week to go before the deadline!

Make sure you post about your books to claim your years and fulfil your pledge before 11:59 PM HOL-time on 22 August (this Sunday). It's also not too late to pledge a couple of books if you're a particularly speedy reader!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Book Club”